Epic estate lady hookup AGAIN

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
So since I befriended this lady right when she started her business she comes to me with all her good stuff first!!! Lucky me! I'm a small time collector/reseller and have done well so far, but this could be a massive opportunity.

May have to pull some money out of the savings for this one based on the deals I can usually get.

Questions for you guys...would you dip into the savings for this RARE collection and how high would you go leaving room for resale?

From what im told this is just the tip of the iceberg!!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427508014.222813.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427508027.175610.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427508039.324300.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427508049.575215.jpg

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take them to 3 local dealers for their offer... what ever is the best price, offer her that... you cant lose... good for you!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Take them to 3 local dealers for their offer... what ever is the best price, offer her that... you cant lose... good for you!

I agree but make sure they are Dealers that are mostly fair in what they offer! We have one fairly close by that would probably only offer $100 for all 6 pieces and especially so, to an elderly man or woman who is selling.

Frank

OP
OP
Punatic

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info guys. I doubt they will let me shop the lot around. Im sitting down with the family tomorrow at 8am. I will make offers based on ebay sold listings. However the condition of the GSA CC's I could not speak on and obviously that would greatly effect the value!

I know the pics are crappy but any thoughts on condition of the 1885cc?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info guys. I doubt they will let me shop the lot around. Im sitting down with the family tomorrow at 8am. I will make offers based on ebay sold listings. However the condition of the GSA CC's I could not speak on and obviously that would greatly effect the value!

I know the pics are crappy but any thoughts on condition of the 1885cc?

Most of the hundreds of "CC" Morgan Silver Dollars of which I have either owned or viewed, have generally been MS-63's with only a few that would have graded lower or higher. Even with the contact rub on the 1885-CC which is probably due to contact with the plastic of the GSA Holder from being bumped around so many years, I believe that it would grade at least an MS-63. If it were not for the contact rub, then I believe that it would grade higher!

Frank

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was able to come up with the cash, I would check Values online and offer 25% of actual Values.
and If they wish to Haggle go up as far as 50%

But allot depends on whether your buying for immediate resale, personal collection,
or future investment.

Of course that is what I would do if I had access to that type of money.
As is I would have a hard time offering Melt.

I'll pay $5.00 for Silver Dollars any condition :unhappysmiley:

I suppose I could spring for $100 for the $20 dollar gold.

anyway Good Luck ! Let us know what happens:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to buy them all. However I would not pay final eBay prices. You have to remember there's 15% off of whatever the final sales are not to mention if you're going to collect them you have to have a good deal for yourself or else just go buy them on eBay. I think if this lady is coming to you first that she doesn't have a problem giving you a good deal. If you have the money to spend I get them if you don't have to pay retail for them. I would say have them tell you how much they want for them instead of you coming up with a number. If you can get the gold for spot or under you'll be doing good. As for the GSA I didn't realize that 1885 was worth so much. Maybe offer half of what they go for. It can't hurt it's always negotiable right?

Another thought is to buy the GSA's and skip the gold, if they have a lot more buy up all silver. Maybe i'm too young though. I could not afford to sit on stuff like that I would have to resell it if I spent that much money on it. And then whatever I had left after I broke even, I would keep.

But good luck and I'm sure you'll get a good deal if she comes to you a lot, that mean she likes you or respects your honesty and she wants to give you good deal or she wouldn't come to you first!

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you do don't burn the bridge with this lady by offering too little. Unlike a one-off situation where you can try to get a great deal and move on if it does not happen, here you have to keep in mind that the lady may not bring you deals in the future if you lowball her customers.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Whatever you do don't burn the bridge with this lady by offering too little. Unlike a one-off situation where you can try to get a great deal and move on if it does not happen, here you have to keep in mind that the lady may not bring you deals in the future if you lowball her customers.

I agree! Don't cut off the hand that feeds you per see!

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If I was able to come up with the cash, I would check Values online and offer 25% of actual Values.
and If they wish to Haggle go up as far as 50%

But allot depends on whether your buying for immediate resale, personal collection,
or future investment.

Of course that is what I would do if I had access to that type of money.
As is I would have a hard time offering Melt.

I'll pay $5.00 for Silver Dollars any condition :unhappysmiley:

I suppose I could spring for $100 for the $20 dollar gold.

anyway Good Luck ! Let us know what happens:thumbsup:

Jeff... I would imagine that you don't make many coin purchases due to what you wrote here, huh!!??

Frank

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Offering 50% is too low. Even the guys at Pawn Stars wouldn't go that low. Check the final sales of multiple RECENT auctions on eBay. Subtract 20%. (For final value fee/PayPal fee/shipping). Then subtract whatever mark up you think is fair (20%?). For example, let's assume the 85CC is selling for $1000. -20% = $800. -20% = $600. I would try to get it for $575-650. Offing $500 would really be a rip off because she can easily get $650-700 at the LCS. Like others said, ask her what she wants for it first. If she offers $500, I'd straight up tell her it's worth more and go $575. She will see that you are honest & will want to deal with you in the future. Good luck!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff... I would imagine that you don't make many coin purchases due to what you wrote here, huh!!??

Frank

LOL ! I Make 0 that is a Big " 0 " coin purchases 8-)

I prefer to dig my coins out the ground thank you :thumbsup:

so honestly if I'm going to use my money, I plan on getting the best deal ever :laughing7:
of course I don't even go looking for Buys, so if someone asked me what I'd pay. That would
be my honest answer.

$100.00 an ounce for Gold.
$3.00 an oz for Silver
would do $5.00 for Morgan dollars & earlier

of course if I'm re-selling X 13 at least

Last edited:
OP
OP
Punatic

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
Ended up buying everything except the gold coin (I tried but they wouldn't take $1500)

Got 71 morgans in varying condition, all three CC Morgan dollars, over a hundred dimes and over a hundred quarters and some other bits and pieces.

Overpaid a bit for the junk silver but got all three CCs for $500!!

Pics later. Thanks for looking

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Great score on the Morgans and other Silver! The $20 St. Gaudens came from a special and significant hoard of Gold Coins and I can understand why they would refuse the offer of $1,500 for it as it is worth twice or more than twice the offer you made (of course depending upon on how well you market it as in, hype the eBay Listing). Up the offer and hopefully they will sell it to you. Besides, you are already going to make probably $700 or more on the three "CC" GSA Morgans alone and my estimate is probably way too low.

Frank

Last edited:

goldandbill

Dec 2, 2013
Gold Beach,OR
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 7 and Mine Lab Eureka
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a recent situation in our family, where things were done regarding elderly, which were not fair to them.This ended up falling under Elder Abuse laws.I agree with others about the fairness issue.
Our activities as collectors, in my opinion, should be about more than the bottom line.

OP
OP
Punatic

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
I gave them an absolutely fair deal. My offer was higher than the coin store that they originally inquired with. I paid 15 for Morgans and 11 times face for the junk silver. The only reason I offered 1500 for the gold was because some had sold recently for 2000 on eBay while others had sold for 3000. I did not feel comfortable going higher than 1500 because that is a lot of money to me. I'm not rich!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions