Either of these coins an actual error?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going through some of my stuff tonight and I came across these two one is a 1946 .25. It looks like to be stamped 1936 underneath the 4 or am I seeing things?

image-3405087616.jpg

image-1309065737.jpg

image-1942911318.jpg

The next one is a Mercury dime and half of the date is missing.

image-1902153043.jpg

image-2023973606.jpg

I think I have some more but I'm not sure where they're at the moment if I come across them I'll post them up here too. Thank you very much

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The missing portion of the date on Mercury Dime is an error due to a grease or debris filled Die (i.e. the last two Date design elements of the Die). However, the coin has little additional premium over a normal Mercury Dime except to some Collectors who collect these types of errors. It is hard to say what exactly happened to the Washington Quarter to cause the design elements or lettering to be right on the edge of what appears to be the rim! It could be due to a distorted or damaged Collar or it may be man made. A view from the side of the coin may tell the story as to whether it was man made or happened at the Mint and a pic of the Reverse may also help. Also, the weight of the coin would help in determining if it something else, such as being struck on a wrong planchet.

Frank

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't even really notice the date was on the actual rinof the quarter. I was more referring to the top of the four it looks like it has a three stamped underneath it and then the four over top of it. I will add some more pictures though if it helps! The weight of the quarter is 6.2 grams.
Thank you for your help!!

image-2780489202.jpg

image-4170380481.jpg

image-2249014178.jpg

image-3714594113.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't even really notice the date was on the actual rinof the quarter. I was more referring to the top of the four it looks like it has a three stamped underneath it and then the four over top of it. I will add some more pictures though if it helps! The weight of the quarter is 6.2 grams.
Thank you for your help!!

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the closeness of the lettering to the rim! After looking at the "4" in the Date and seeing what you are seeing, I am of the opinion that it is only staining which only looks as if it is a "3" under the "4" as I see no raised portions of image beneath the "4".

As to the lettering being near the rim, I am still uncertain as to the cause! The reeding is well worn which one would expect with a well circulated coin and the weight of the coin is well within the tolerances for a Silver Washington Quarter's normal weight, so it is really hard to tell what actually happened. I suspect a intentional or accidental man made error which was done by leaving the coin in a clothes item or placing the coin in a sock and throwing it into a clothes dryer. I have seen many dryer coins as they are called and if a sock or other clothes item contains the coin, the reeding on the edge remains reasonably intact while the diameter of the coin is reduced by the constant rotating and impacts. To be an actual Error, the coin would have to be deemed as having been struck while the Collar was distorted, not allowing the metal to flow outward to a Quarter's normal size during the striking process or the following: 1) Inadequate ram pressure or 2) insufficient die approximation (excessive minimum die clearance). The latter two would result in a weak strike, so these two are out the door leaving the first two and I am of the opinion that it was man made but who can really know whether it was intentional or accidental!

Just so that you will know, while these types of Errors if legitimate are considered Mint Errors, they generally have little if any premium over face value except to those who collect such Errors unless the Error is significant (really weak strike and/or the lettering overriding the rim).

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread