Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you sir. So I'm assuming a "true" 1955 double die has the double date clearly pronounced and not at all similar to the poor man's variety.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you sir. So I'm assuming a "true" 1955 double die has the double date clearly pronounced and not at all similar to the poor man's variety.

Yes but not only is the Date doubled on the true 1955-P "Double Die (DDO #1)" Cents, all of the lettering is doubled as well. With the 1955-P "Poorman's Doubled Die" Cents, only the last "5" or the last two "5's" in the Date are doubled. See the pics below.

Frank

1955-P "Double Die" Lincoln Cent
1955DDO.jpg

1955-P "Poorman's Doubled Die" Lincoln Cent
1955PoormansDDO.jpg

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are so many incredible fakes of this coin floating around out there, I wouldn't buy one slabbed or raw unless it was from a big time wheat penny collector like the Penny Lady.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are so many incredible fakes of this coin floating around out there, I wouldn't buy one slabbed or raw unless it was from a big time wheat penny collector like the Penny Lady.

I've met her at a few shows. That's a pretty cool niche market she has. I love looking thru her stuff.

I bought a '55 Dbl Die raw on eBay as an XF in 2004. I sent it to PCGS & it came back AU50. Paid $700 for it. It's now worth about $1500ish. I made a good purchase. Even so, I'm with you on this issue: I think I got lucky and there's no way I would buy one raw again. Too many fakes out there. If it was in a PCGS/NGC holder from a reputable dealer I wouldn't have a problem with it tho.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The '55 Dbl Die is my all time favorite coin BTW. Perfect combination of fascination and rarity, and a coin that will always be in high demand & trend upward in value over time. Awesome coin!

Here's mine...

Attachments

• image-4085376110.jpg
    image-4085376110.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 100

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a '55 Dbl Die raw on eBay as an XF in 2004. I sent it to PCGS & it came back AU50. Paid $700 for it. It's now worth about $1500ish. I made a good purchase. Even so, I'm with you on this issue: I think I got lucky and there's no way I would buy one raw again. Too many fakes out there. If it was in a PCGS/NGC holder from a reputable dealer I wouldn't have a problem with it tho.

Big risk comes with big rewards for sure but something tells me you stepped out of the sand box a long time ago....:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions