Coin to be regraded

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking through a couple coins I have thinking about eliminating some. And I came across a 1998 American Silver Eagle graded by SGS. MS 70. If I send this in to have a regraded do I take it out of the case or do I send it in inside the one it's in? I'll take some pictures of the case is pretty scratched up so probably won't help anything. Here's an example of one that sold online for stupid money... but I'm fine with that.... Should this one regrade for that it looks like all of the spots and scratches are on the case not the coin. image-1695594026.jpg image-2935016602.jpg

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=301556463428

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Determining whether a coin grades either as a MS-67 or a MS-70 takes a lot of skill, education, knowledge and experience. There is no way that anyone could truly determine if a coin would cross-over grade at MS-70 by viewing pics of the coin online and the pics were taken of it in a scratched up plastic holder! SGS is not a true Third Party Grading Service. They are a Self-Slabber selling coins on eBay that are clearly marked with grades well above what the coin should actually grade. This is a rip off artist which should have never been allowed to sell on eBay past the first month of doing so but eBay in their' own self-interest of making money off of sales from this Seller, continues to allow this Seller to continue selling on eBay.

Frank

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank makes some excellent points but let me also add that out of the 4500 or so 1998 silver eagles graded at PCGS only 17 have graded a perfect MS70 so the odds are very slim. As a personal opinion I dont buy into the whole MS70 thing because modern coins have a much higher quality standard brought on by centuries of perfecting the art and so called perfect coins are becoming the norm. Another interesting point to make is that out of the 4500 coins, 3556 graded MS69 and a MS69 is only valued by PCGS at $38 while a MS70 is valued at $3000. So back to your question of should you send it and the answer is very simply no because it would actually be cheaper to buy the coin already slabbed MS70 then to try and submit it. I say that because if you look at the numbers 1 in every 264 people who have submitted what they believe to be the perfect coin got the perfect grade. Considering the coin would cost about $50 to grade and you had to send it 264 times it would cost you somewhere in excess of $10,000+ to get the perfect grade.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank makes some excellent points but let me also add that out of the 4500 or so 1998 silver eagles graded at PCGS only 17 have graded a perfect MS70 so the odds are very slim. As a personal opinion I dont buy into the whole MS70 thing because modern coins have a much higher quality standard brought on by centuries of perfecting the art and so called perfect coins are becoming the norm. Another interesting point to make is that out of the 4500 coins, 3556 graded MS69 and a MS69 is only valued by PCGS at $38 while a MS70 is valued at $3000. So back to your question of should you send it and the answer is very simply no because it would actually be cheaper to buy the coin already slabbed MS70 then to try and submit it. I say that because if you look at the numbers 1 in every 264 people who have submitted what they believe to be the perfect coin got the perfect grade. Considering the coin would cost about $50 to grade and you had to send it 264 times it would cost you somewhere in excess of $10,000+ to get the perfect grade.

Good grief...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread