Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
never seen anything like it...cool. I hope its a legit error.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking PMD. Looks melted to me.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its actually a Die break and its definitely legit I have seen others just like yours here is an example. This one sold for $440.........:occasion14:

lf
lf

lf

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingskid1611

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting that they are both 1972 D. Does it have a value?

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The one I posted sold for $440 as for what yours is worth in its condition i really cant say.

OP
OP
kingskid1611

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should I submit it to get certified or just try to sell as is?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Its actually a Die break and its definitely legit I have seen others just like yours here is an example. This one sold for $440.........:occasion14:

lf
lf

lf

Matthew,

Way to go on finding the exact same error from the exact same Obverse Die! The O.P.'s coin appears to be identical with the exception of grade and was likely struck only one or only a few coins before or after the one you posted.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

It would be best to save your' money and sell it as is but note the identical one that matthew posted in advertising it whether Craigslist, eBay or another online venue. By doing so, it should help with the sale of your' coin. Although it is apparent that your' coin is circulated and may only grade as an Extra Fine, it should still fetch a decent price if well promoted.

I wanted to note this question even though I answered it somewhat above. The only downside to there being two or at least one more of these Error Coins show up on the market, is that with each addition, they all will lose some value. However, these are major Errors that are extremely rare, both are from the same Obverse Die and it is doubtful that there are a lot of specimens out there, so that is a plus plus for you.

Frank

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I'd spend the money to have it graded. They will always command a higher price over a non graded coin. Especially on an error coin such as this. Also, a scammer could buy it from you ungraded, then claim it was post mint damage after he gets it, then send you back a different coin. Being slabbed eliminates this possibility.

OP
OP
kingskid1611

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the information and input. I have had this coin since I was a kid and just stuck it away cause it was "cool looking". I was going through some stuff today and found it again and thought You all would know. So after around 30 years I finally know and will get it graded and try to sell it.....Thanks again

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally, I'd spend the money to have it graded. They will always command a higher price over a non graded coin. Especially on an error coin such as this. Also, a scammer could buy it from you ungraded, then claim it was post mint damage after he gets it, then send you back a different coin. Being slabbed eliminates this possibility.

As everyone knows, I am usually for having a coin certified, graded and attributed (when an Error or Variety is involved) but it depends on the coin! In the case of the O.P.'s coin which will likely only grade as an Extra Fine, when compared to the MS-65 Brown specimen that was sold by Heritage, I just don't think the O.P.'s coin warrants the expense of $50 or more to possibly only fetch $100 to $150. I could be wrong and since the one that was sold by Heritage was sold almost 2 1/2 years ago, they both have surely gone up in value!

Frank

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As everyone knows, I am usually for having a coin certified, graded and attributed (when an Error or Variety is involved) but it depends on the coin! In the case of the O.P.'s coin which will likely only grade as an Extra Fine, when compared to the MS-65 Brown specimen that was sold by Heritage, I just don't think the O.P.'s coin warrants the expense of $50 or more to possibly only fetch $100 to $150. I could be wrong and since the one that was sold by Heritage was sold almost 2 1/2 years ago, they both have surely gone up in value!

Frank

It will cost more then $50 because its an error and PCGS/NGC charge more for the grading. I agree with Frank probably best to just hang on to it for now.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other

Given the condition, I would expect this coin to sell between $250 and $350. Assuming it costs about $50 to get it graded and slabbed, the question becomes will it add enough value to the coin. If it would sell for $250 without, and $350 with slabbing, then it is worth the $50. Basically, this is a borderline coin. I agree that you show the pictures of the slabbed coin with your coin, and sell it as is. Since you have a ceiling on the price (the slabbed coin, in better condition), you really know that you want to get as close to $440 as you can. You likely will not get more than that. The slabbed coin does a great job of showing it is real... I'd do a BIN/BO for $399.99 and sell it for anything $300 or better without the slabbing.

Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread