Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did get lucky selling my coin for $4,200..But i know the coin went to auction, and sold for 6grand..I was offered anywhere from 50 dollars to 2000..
If i didn't get offered 4200 i would still have it..
One thing i can tell you guys, im sorry i sold it!!! Did not need the money, if you need the money then do it..Otherwise keep it..
Here is a pic of it again. .
It was in great shape

Attachments

• 1428884017459.jpg
    1428884017459.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 1428884048439.jpg
    1428884048439.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 143

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are not comfortable in attempting to clean and conserve the coin, then it would be best left to the professionals! If you send the coin to NCS, they will conserve it, then it can be sent over to NGC (same Company just different departments and services) for certification, grading and definitely ask for attribution for the Variety. I am unsure as to whether there is a known Variety of a 1793 Flowing Hair "Chain" Cent without the "bars and vines with leaves" on the edge as I do not have the reference books on these rare coins nor can I readily find anything online. NGC should be up on all of the different Varieties for the 1793 Flowing Hair "Chain" Cent but if not, they will likely consult some experts. If in fact, it is missing the "bars and vines with leaves" on the edge and if it happened to be an "AMERI." Variety or the one with periods after "AMERICA" and I believe "STATES", then you could have a coin that is worth a lot more than $4,000. In any case, without some conservation and cleaning, you will likely never know which Variety it is and how valuable it actually is or could be!

Frank

I have a dug flowing hair cent "Ameri " I sent to NGC/NCS .... Came back in a plastic bag that said " unverifiable"! I posted it a couple of years ago here.
The value has fallen considerably I think due to the amount of chains that have been found. I think yours is # 4 since I've been a member .. 2012

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a dug flowing hair cent "Ameri " I sent to NGC/NCS .... Came back in a plastic bag that said " unverifiable"! I posted it a couple of years ago here.
The value has fallen considerably I think due to the amount of chains that have been found. I think yours is # 4 since I've been a member .. 2012

Sorry to hear that NGC/NCS sent the coin back to you as "Unverifiable"! Since I don't think I have seen pics of your' coin, I can only assume that due to wear, corrosion and porousness, a lot of details are gone and also, the coin's weight may have been off. It is possible when this happens, that you can locate and send the coin to an expert on Flowing Hair Large Cents that is trusted by the hobby/industry as well as the Third Party Grading Services. This expert might be able to authenticate the coin and attribute the Variety and with their' letter stating such, most Third Party Grading Services will put their' seal of approval (i.e. certification probably "Authentic" or "Genuine", grade or details grade and the Variety attribution on the label) in slabbing it. While the Certifiers and Graders at NGC are highly qualified and educated to do what they do, they can't always make a determination that a certain coin is genuine and reasonably determine the Variety due to a variety of circumstances such as the problems in the 2nd sentence here. An expert can and will examine a coin to determine if it has identifiable Die Markers from any Dies used to strike the coin, once done and if matches are found, they will then make sure of the Variety and then, more than likely give their opinion on a Details Grade, all of which will be noted in their' Letter of their findings back to you.

The key things to keep in mind when doing this, is the cost of the service provided by the expert and then sending the coin back to NGC for certification, grade and attribution of Variety and if the coin and it's potential value, warrants these extra costs!

Frank

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/my-best-finds/303076-another-1793-chain-cent.html

Digger79pa this is the condition of my coin.
I believe you have to rotate the coin 90 deg.

flyadive,

That is a great find and one that you should be very proud of! I can see from viewing the pics of the coin at the link you provided, that the coin is far too degraded to really make any kind of determination as to whether it is genuine or a counterfeit and this is likely the reason NGC returned it bagged and labeled as "Unverifiable". Although there is no guarantee to the results but in the coin's condition, it could not hurt to place it in a bath soaking in Extra Virgin Olive Oil for several months. The slight acidity of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil and occasional light rubbing with a fingertip might actually remove some portions of the corroded metal which is hiding details. Once done, just pat the coin dry, take some pics and post them on here or send them to me via PM before you 2x2 the coin to protect it.

Frank

Last edited:

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you huntsman! I already soaked the coin in olive oil years ago. I think I'll leave it alone until I take it in person for expert verification..... Someday. If you like i can post new photos later tomorrow. Thanks again HH

OP
OP
Digger70pa

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I could send it out & have it verified. Its as real as it gets. I got luck to dig it out of a cow path in a hill with ruts on both sides of it. It was the only coin we found that day. It was in the summer things were dry & I went where I could swing my machine. Just lucky to have a spot like this.HH TIM

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger, that is what I was trying to tell you. I think you will be wasting your time and money sending it out for verification. Take it to a reputable coin dealer.
Better yet ... Let's find someone in Philly area and have both our coins looked at.
Otherwise you may have to wait for the next Baltimore Coin Expo.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Digger, that is what I was trying to tell you. I think you will be wasting your time and money sending it out for verification. Take it to a reputable coin dealer.
Better yet ... Let's find someone in Philly area and have both our coins looked at.
Otherwise you may have to wait for the next Baltimore Coin Expo.

I would bet that Vino (George) would give you and Digger70pa the name of the Coin Dealer that purchased his' 1802/0 "Cohen 2" Half Cent if you ask. The Dealer apparently collects Early American Coppers, might be interested in one or both coins and maybe knowledgeable to attribute the Varieties as well. I think it is worth a shot!

Frank

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He should buy both, if I had the money....I would buy every chain cent I could find and melt down the worst shape coins,keeping the best only. I would get my money back 10 fold! Lol
(I wouldn't melt them down)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions