The real consequences that modern coin collectors have on the US economy.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
collectible?..or commemorative? Funny story, back in 1999 I was kind of out of it regarding my coin collecting hobby....I was young, broke, etc...So one day I get this crazy quarter with a dude w/ a horse on it. It seems I was the last one to find out about the state quarter thing. So, now of course I've got the obligatory folders with the states and National Parks, but I find the whole thing to be more of a nuisance than anything else. The good news is, they are all worth .25 cents each!:laughing7:

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
collectible?..or commemorative? Funny story, back in 1999 I was kind of out of it regarding my coin collecting hobby....I was young, broke, etc...So one day I get this crazy quarter with a dude w/ a horse on it. It seems I was the last one to find out about the state quarter thing. So, now of course I've got the obligatory folders with the states and National Parks, but I find the whole thing to be more of a nuisance than anything else. The good news is, they are all worth .25 cents each!:laughing7:

Isn't that amazing,? me too, starting about 2002, I used to buy $500 boxes until I had a room full of them, so back two or three years ago I decided to try to sell a few rolls and see what they were worth.
You're absolutely right, except maybe for the one with the dude riding the horse, each quarter is worth about a quarter.
I have been collecting these things ever since silver was seven or eight dollars an ounce.
About half way through the state series I started buying the Silver proof versions of the state quarters instead. I have done a lot better with those.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So basically , the point I am trying to make here is that before 1999 modern quarters had an eagle on their obverse side. Apart from the 76 bicentennial quarter there really weren't many variations.
So now there are what? About 60 variations of a quarter?
I strongly suspect that this practice has been contrived out of something other then national "state and federal park" pride.
If every American household is collecting just 1 of each of every commemorative quarter, nickel, etc (I know, one roll of quarters would't last 6 months in the average household, without getting used to pay for something) then literally billions of dollars would be getting removed from circulation to be hoarded.

This is hugely advantageous when calculating money supply, and has thus created a whole new category of "ghost currency"(yeah, I don't think that term existed before about 30 seconds ago either) that really for all monetary "legal tender" purposes, doesn't really exist unless it gets reintroduced into the money supply for face value.

If it is never recirculated for face value, it is a complete 100% profit to its manufacturers, The US Federal reserve. (Ultimately the US treasury itself).
The Mints are really "working" that concept.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So basically , the point I am trying to make here is that before 1999 modern quarters had an eagle on their obverse side. Apart from the 76 bicentennial quarter there really weren't many variations.
So now there are what? About 60 variations of a quarter?
I strongly suspect that this practice has been contrived out of something other then national "state and federal park" pride.
If every American household is collecting just 1 of each of every commemorative quarter, nickel, etc (I know, one roll of quarters would't last 6 months in the average household, without getting used to pay for something) then literally billions of dollars would be getting removed from circulation to be hoarded.

This is hugely advantageous when calculating money supply, and has thus created a whole new category of "ghost currency"(yeah, I don't think that term existed before about 30 seconds ago either) that really for all monetary "legal tender" purposes, doesn't really exist unless it gets reintroduced into the money supply for face value.

If it is never recirculated for face value, it is a complete 100% profit to its manufacturers, The US Federal reserve. (Ultimately the US treasury itself).
The Mints are really "working" that concept.

By the way, Have you ever gone to Europe or Mexici and have had to familiarize yourself with the local currency?
US dollars are pretty much accepted everywhere, but you always get more and are treated more sincerely using the local currency. Depending on where you are it can be tricky even for people that are motivated to use it rather then US dollars for the obvious economic reasons.

I mean with seventy different quarters in circulation,(are there more? I think there's more) ) can you imagine how amazingly intimidating it must me to a European or Mexican tourist in America who is expected to instantly figure out how each different coin relates to the others?

There has got to be several trillion dollars or more in depreciating clad quarters and nickels that have been purposely effectively demonitized.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, that depends on which side is actually up pertaining to the two dimentianal plane in which it exists, and the potential perspective of the subject observer and the context to which the term "reverse" is being applied, besides, when is the last time you saw a quarter with an eagle on the reverse?

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as Haley said to his screen mom in the Sixth Sense..."EVERY DAY"----------- I get a minimum of 10X face.... nearly every day for a quarter... whether it has an eagle or not:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread