SHOULD I still buy coins from LITTLETON COIN??

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Littleton has very high prices. I find that pawn shops and coin shops are more reasonably priced....IF there are any in your neighborhood / city. I hit 2 pawn shops about every other week, and find reasonably priced coins now and then.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with goose-0 !
only deal with Littleton as a last resort & only if you never plan on using them as an investment.
the coins will probably rot away before their value will reach what Littleton will charge you.

only deals I have ever gotten at Littleton were 1 oz Silver Eagles.
occasionally they will offer an introductory price below actual melt Value
but beware the Shipping & handling or the coins on approval they include.
The coins they include on approval for inspection & Consideration
can be way over priced.

When I deal with them , as I said it's one & done on a introductory deal.
then I send them a Note saying "take me off your mailing List,
any coins I receive on approval I will consider free gifts"
it stops them in their tracks :laughing7:

watch this video. the franklin half he shows is worth $5.77
at Littleton it will cost you over $35.00

which means if silver reaches $120.00 an oz. a coin dealer may give you your $35.00 for it

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
This topic reminds me of an elderly gentleman I met a few years back at a local Flea Market! He had setup at the Flea Market to sell his' collection of Morgan Silver Dollars and other coins that he had purchased from Littleton from (I believe) the 1970's through the early 2000's. Many of the coins were common Date "Carson City" Morgan Silver Dollars. He was selling these for the same price that he had paid for them and most were priced from $700 to $1,000 and sadly, he was getting no takers. I talked with him for some time and told him that I sympathized with him and his plight because he was only trying to get back what he had paid for the coins but that it was doubtful that anyone would be foolish enough to pay the prices he wanted for them (even though that was what he had paid for them originally from Littleton) and that most of the same coins could be purchased from many Coin Dealers or off of eBay for $300 or less. The poor fellow hung out for about another hour, then closed up and went home. I hate to see such things happen to good honest folks that are only trying to accumulate investments for their future or for their children's and grandchildren's future, then only to find out many years later that the coins are not valued anywhere near what they paid for them. While the coin market has many ups and downs which can effect one's investment in coins, this was not the case here and this was only a case of an honest individual falling for Littleton's advertising and paying way too much for the coins they purchased.

Frank

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
One thing to take away from the advice, is to learn about the coins before purchasing them. There is a common phrase stating to "buy the book before the coin".

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The simple answers is NO. Unless you like getting ripped off.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abso-freaking-lutely NEVER buy ANYTHING from Littleton! They are the Barack Obama of the coin collecting industry: all they do is steal, lie, and prey on the ignorant.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abso-freaking-lutely NEVER buy ANYTHING from Littleton! They are the Barack Obama of the coin collecting industry: all they do is steal, lie, and prey on the ignorant.

No, they're the Reagan of coin collecting. Their corporation gets all the money, and you hope some value will trickle down to you, which it won't. :laughing7:

OP
OP
C

coinBOSSfinder

Nov 27, 2014
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Bountry Hunter, Now AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dude your amazing,, I wish the world had people like you everywhere.. Manning up and doing what's right for everyone (sorry I'm replying to pretty late. I went to boarding school for 22 months in Utah)... Thank you soo much for your great courageous, kind and caring support!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never dealt with them. I buy from two local coin stores, so I can see the items in person and also Ebay. For rare or keys I only buy slabbed coins. I do buy rolls and bags, those bags of cents are
getting way heavy! I don't have many coins, I have been looking for error cents and double dies with some success. For me its the chase, not the having.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
dude your amazing,, I wish the world had people like you everywhere.. Manning up and doing what's right for everyone (sorry I'm replying to pretty late. I went to boarding school for 22 months in Utah)... Thank you soo much for your great courageous, kind and caring support!

Who?

OP
OP
C

coinBOSSfinder

Nov 27, 2014
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Bountry Hunter, Now AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sorry, I accidentally send this message to the wrong person.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread