do counterfeit quarters exist

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
I ask this question because a friend has a quarter that I can not figure out.
Sorry I can't post a picture right now.
It is a 1987 D but it looks like an oreo cookie in that the outer cupronickel
layers extend wider on both sides than the clearly visible copper
center. It is well circulated in condition. The strange thing to me is that
you can clearly see reeds in the copper center layer that is recessed
approximately 1/32 of an inch inside the outer cupronickel layers. I can't
for the life of me see how that is even possible. Looking at it through a
20 power loop there is faint evidence of reeds on the outside layers, however,
the reeding is visible to the naked eye on the recessed copper core.
Think of it as looking like a miniature fly reel or tiny spool, something like
that. Has anybody ever see an error like that and if so, what would it be called?
Thanks in advance for any information!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It is hard to give an informed opinion without pics but it sounds as if the Quarter was "Struck Out of the Collar"!

Frank

pyrbob

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2015
York, PA
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have a quarter that was damaged by sitting in something acidic. Acid erodes the copper faster than the outer clad layers. The erosion effect will leave the design of the reeds but they will look softer and not have sharp edges. There are many ways this can happen but one common way is with soda. The coins get thrown into a cup holder in a car then soda either gets spilled onto them or a paper cup leaks covering the coins. If the coins lay in the soda for a long while they can get the look you described.

OP
OP
pronghorn

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
Sounds like you have a quarter that was damaged by sitting in something acidic. Acid erodes the copper faster than the outer clad layers. The erosion effect will leave the design of the reeds but they will look softer and not have sharp edges. There are many ways this can happen but one common way is with soda. The coins get thrown into a cup holder in a car then soda either gets spilled onto them or a paper cup leaks covering the coins. If the coins lay in the soda for a long while they can get the look you described.

that sounds exactly like what the coin looks like, thank you both for the prompt replies.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a coin that had been lost for some time on a salt water beach. The corrosive action of the salt water does that to clad.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF they don't counter them now... wont be long before China does. heh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread