enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Acetone will definitely stop the verdigris from spreading. I hope you're using extra virgin olive oil. After an acetone bath you can use a qtip and gently roll it across the coin to remove any organics. Then rinse with distilled water. Verdicare will then protect the coin. Probably the same process a conservator will use.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Acetone will definitely stop the verdigris from spreading. I hope you're using extra virgin olive oil. After an acetone bath you can use a qtip and gently roll it across the coin to remove any organics. Then rinse with distilled water. Verdicare will then protect the coin. Probably the same process a conservator will use.

I don't know how I missed seeing this Thread about the 1909-S VDB but I apparently did! I agree with enamel on this! Acetone should have been used first, rinsed with water, patted dried between the folds of a soft towel, then placed in the Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The verdigris needs to be arrested (stopped) by the Acetone before you proceed to the Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Having been in the Extra Virgin Olive Oil now for about 3 months, the coin has likely darkened much darker than it was before in went in and the verdigris may not be arrested. You may be able to remedy both somewhat by rinsing with water, pat dry between the folds of a soft towel, then place in Acetone for a few minutes. Remove it from the Acetone, rinse with water, pat dry between the folds of a soft towel, then put the coin back into the Extra Virgin Olive Oil for a short time. Once removed and still covered with the Extra Virgin Olive Oil, see if the verdigris will come off of the coin. If not, it may have to be returned to the Extra Virgin Olive Oil for continued soaking. Some folks recommend using a Q-Tips on Copper coins but a Q-Tip can leave tiny scratches on a Copper coin. A green Rose Thorn will neither scratch or harm a Copper coin and especially so, if the coin is still coated with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Surprisingly, a fingernail if used lightly on the surface of a Copper coin to remove the verdigris, will not harm the coin. A soft fingertip can even be used but rubbing with a soft fingertip risks loosening verdigris, dirt or grime that may be somewhat coarse and which can scratch the surface of the coin.

If per chance, the verdigris remains on the coin and further treatment risks damaging the coin, you can always send it into NCS for the conservation services. You need only to remove it from the Extra Virgin Olive Oil, rinse with water, pat dry very well between the folds of a soft towel, let air dry for several hours, then place in a 2x2 mylar protective coin holder and send it to NCS. You need not nor should you wash the coin in soapy water, rinsing with water and drying before sending the coin to NCS. I have seen many Copper coins sent to both PCGS and NGC that had a light coat of Extra Virgin Olive Oil on them and to my knowledge, none were ever returned as ungradable or bagged as hobby says.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,
I sent it in to NCS and I am not sure they did any conservation on it besides maybe messing with the green in front of the mouth. Copper is hard to conserve. In any case, it is what it is now. NGC graded it as genuine, so VF details is cool.
Here is the official result.

Attachments

• 20151216_211221.jpg
    20151216_211221.jpg
    998.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 20151216_211233.jpg
    20151216_211233.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 94
  • 20151216_211320.jpg
    20151216_211320.jpg
    1,011.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 20151216_211502.jpg
    20151216_211502.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 103
  • 20151216_211411.jpg
    20151216_211411.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mods, is there a way to rotate the pics in the right direction?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread