pyrbob

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2015
York, PA
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the real deal. The A & M are close, the E is not centered between the M & R and you don't show it but the other thing to look for is the FG designers initials are close to the building on a wide AM but are farther away to the building on a close AM. Compare the designers initials to another 1992 and you will see the difference. Congrats! In all of my years roll searching I have never found this one.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the Treasurenet forums! Super nice find and congrats! I agree that the coin is for sure a 1992-D "Close AM" Lincoln Memorial Cent. As far as the value is concerned, there have been a few found each year which has caused the rarity and value of these Variety coins to go down and the only way to know the value, is by putting it up for auction. It would be best to have the coin certified, graded and the Variety attributed on the label of the holder as most Auction Houses will not accept it otherwise. You could sell it on eBay and take your chances and it may fetch a nice price on there. Since the pics give us very little to go on as far as grading the coin, I am going to guess that it may be close to MS-60 and even in this lower grade, one would hope that the coin is worth a few thousand dollars.

Frank

OP
OP
F

first hunt

Mar 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sending it off Friday to get graded. I have had some people look at it and they all think it will grade in at AU55 or AU58. Which like you said will bring in a couple thousand Dollars. As of right now I do not know if I will sale or hold on to it. But I am open to all offers.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sending it off Friday to get graded. I have had some people look at it and they all think it will grade in at AU55 or AU58. Which like you said will bring in a couple thousand Dollars. As of right now I do not know if I will sale or hold on to it. But I am open to all offers.

That sounds like a plan! If you do decide to take a chance on selling it, then you could list it on eBay with Reserve Price that you could live with and hope it sells for more. I would not recommend listing it with a fixed "Buy It Now" Price because if it sells quickly at that price, you are obligated to the sell it to the high bidder and the price may or may not be a reflection of what Collectors are willing to pay to own it or the true value of the coin. You could consider all of the Auctions for this particular Variety (the 1992-D "Close AM" Cent and not the 1992-P "Close AM" Cent) by checking the prices they fetched and the grades each coin was in as well as the latest one to sell at the link below, to extrapolate a possible value on your' coin before listing it for auction. Do keep in mind that with your submission of your' coin to PCGS or NGC and even before placing it up for auction, the coin collecting world will become aware that there is now one more added to the few found and the value of all just dropped. It may be better to sell it now before another 3 to 5 or more of these are found...are certified, graded and attributed and put up for auction because the values of these rare Variety coins will surely take a hit in value! Just my thoughts!

http://www.coinworld.com/news/Rare-1992-Lincoln-cent-variety-brings-14100.html#

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

first hunt

Mar 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you as soon as I get it back there will be some pictures made and so magazines want to put the story of this find up so there will be a lot of people looking. As far as finds go there has not ben any found in 2 years that I know of. Not saying that there is not any more out there. So like you it will be up for sale and soon. It will help on the new house I just bought.

CoinHuntingDrew

Dec 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post a complete picture of the reverse? Often times a lot of 1992 D's look like Close AM's, but really are Wide AM's.

OP
OP
F

first hunt

Mar 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had this coin looked at by several people and it is the real deal. As soon as my membership is paid for at PCGS. I will send it off. When it comes back I will put pictures of it up for every one to see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread