Kennedy half dollar values, looking to sell

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hesitate to call myself an amateur coin enthusiast because I still don't know what things like MS68 and 50C mean, but I wanted to ask the good folks here for their insights.

My great aunt gave me a sockful of Kennedy halves many years ago. I have 227 in all, and unfortunately, they all look like they've sustained circulation damage to varying degrees. These halves range from 1964 to 1991. I've already picked out the 64s (12 of them) and intend to sell them on their own since I know the silver content is higher, and there are 10 bicentennial halves too, but I don't know if they're anything special. Oddly, I also found a 1979 Susan B. Anthony dollar and a 1941 nickel mixed in with the half dollars. The rest are in varying conditions - some look newer, others have obviously been circulated, none of them have the S mint mark that seems to be common among more valuable Kennedy halves.

None of these have those little window sleeves on them and I have no clue how to ship them. Do I wrap them individually in something or just toss them in a box and pack it with bubble wrap? I don't know what grade they'd be either. Has anyone here ever sold Kennedy halves? Should I try to sell them via an official coin auction site or eBay? Should I sell them as a whole lot, individually or in sets? I'm also not sure what a good asking price would be (I'm thinking about selling via eBay) since every pricing guide gives me a different value. Some sites say any circulated half is only worth face value, but other sources say certain ones are worth several dollars even with damage. I don't want to lowball my starting price too much, but I do see half dollar bundles go for much more than face value online.

Here's what I've got:

1964 - No mint mark (x12).

1965 - No mint mark (x3).

1966 - No mint mark (x17).

1967 - No mint mark (x29).

1968 - 1968-D (x16).

1971 - No mint mark (x15), 1971-D (x1)

1972 - No mint mark (x17), 1972-D (x2).

1973 - No mint mark (x4), 1973-D (x1).

1974 - No mint mark (x24), no double dies.

1976 - 1976-D (x1), no mint mark (x9).

1977 - No mint mark (x4).

1979 - No mint mark (x11).

1980 - 1980-D (x2), 1980-P (x7).

1981 - 1981-P (x2).

1983 - 1983-P (x4).

1984 - 1984-P (x8).

1985 - 1985-P (x9), 1985-D (x1).

1986 - 1986-P (x3), 1986-D (x3).

1988 - 1988-D (x3), 1988-P (x5).

1989 - 1989-P (x1).

1990: 1990-P (x7).

1991: 1991-P (x4).

TOTAL: 227

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you have 65 40%halves (65-69) so about $160 worth and 12 64s which are worth about $6 each
Id sell all these together it possible- should be abke to get $235-$240ish
But if i were you id hold them and wait for silver to go up

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As indicated above, the silver halves will sell for about their silver content and the non-silver halves are just worth face value. Ebay is not the best way to sell common silver coins IMHO because you will get about the silver value but will bear ebay/paypal fees and shipping costs. I would sell the silver coins locally, like on Craigslist. I would spend the non-silver halves or deposit them in your bank account.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assuming they're all circulated and there are no mint errors to increase their value, sell the 90% and 40% silver locally and spend the rest. Personally, I'd keep the silver for a rainy day.

OP
OP
JunkLover

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think any of them have errors. I thought one of the 86's was missing that tiny little border around the edge of the obverse side, but I think it was just wear and tear from circulation. At a glance, it looked like "Liberty" was flush against the coin edge. As far as I can tell, none of them have any errors, though a couple of them are dinged up a lot. Thankfully, the ones with the worst damage would be worth face value anyway.

Anyway, thanks very much for your help, everyone! Normally I'd have gone to Google on my own for this, but like I said, I was getting a different value on every page I visited. I suggested eBay mostly because it's something I'm familiar with both in regard to buying and selling. In the event I do wind up having to mail them, though, should I do anything special in regard to packing? Like getting coin sleeves? These have all been sitting in an old sock rubbing against one another for years, so it's not like they're going to get more damaged being in a box. If I sell them locally, I'd want to offer them in something a little nicer than a sock too. :)

Hmmm, maybe I'll use those face value halves to do some coin roll hunting.

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hold onto the silver ones and wait for silver to go up. Not to long ago it was over $30 per ounce. Now would be the time to buy so you should be able to sell them quickly if you don't want to sit on the money. Around here 90% coins are selling for 15 times face value. You should be able to get that or close to it on craigslist. I would shoot for more than spot unless it's to a buddy.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't bother putting the coins into plastic flips or anything. You could just wrap them together in paper coin rolls.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cash in the non silver.

Go to buy silver from a local coin shop. Don't pay more than 15x face.

Hold with the rest of the silver.

Now you have savings you didn't really consider savings, and your personal investment is limited to your time!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get some free coin wrappers from your local bank and use those to put the coins in.

OP
OP
JunkLover

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't really have a lot of money to spare to be buying silver (especially at 15x face value, investment or not), but sounds like I'll be hanging onto the 64s-69s for now until the price of silver goes up and depositing the rest. Sounds like a plan! Thanks, guys! :)

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have received coins wrapped in toilet paper. Don't spend any money getting rid of the non-silver coins. The rest could just be spent or cashed in at the bank.

MD-Mainiac

Jun 16, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
BH Platinum and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As others have stated, the clad coins are only worth $.50 each. They are spenders.
The 40% halves are worth the silver value.
The 90% halves are also worth the silver value.

Kennedy half dollars are still made by the mint, but only sold to collectors (or anyone else who buys direct).

You are better off saving the silvers and spending the rest.

If you have any "S" mint halves, they may be 40%, just look on the rim to check.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don't need the cash, keep the silver, although it's not really a great investment because it may be a long time before it climbs in value. I waited over 30 years to see silver rise in value again, only to have it quickly come crashing down, once again. The first time, (1980), manipulation drove the value up, and the second time, fear.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree to spend or turn in at the Bank all of the Clad Half Dollars and store away the 1964 through 1969 Half Dollars until Silver goes high! However, before you do anything, you should check the Half Dollars for Doubled Die, RPM (RePunched Mintmarks) and IMM (Inverted Mintmark) Varieties. Go to Conceca's website at the link below, scroll down to the Variety listings for Kennedy Half Dollars and check your' coins against the list. If you do not know what any of the Kennedy Half Dollars with Double Die doubling looks like, just Google them generically or by Date and Mintmark. I have included a link to Google with some pics and information below.

CONECA Master Listings

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=kennedy+half+dollar+double+die

Frank

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the 1964's could be worth more than normal, so don't get rid of them too quickly:

https://www.google.com/search?q=196...tf-8#q=1964+Kennedy+Accented+Hair+Half+Dollar

1353964598_uh_wtf_gif.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread