Metal detecting find 1872! Indian Head Penny

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank... I love the military stuff I don't get any civil war items over my way... second Seminole

View attachment 1174927

View attachment 1174928

View attachment 1174930

war though

Cool buttons! I must have found lots of Military buttons when they cleared out the brush, bushes and heavy weeds on Peary Court in Key West mainly to get fill dirt for the Missile Base on Missile Island off Key West and I believe also to get it ready to lease out or sell. I really don't remember what happened to the buttons but I either gave them away or tossed them. We found so many coins back then when they cleared Peary Court that we even tried to bribe them to let us go to Missile Island and metal detect the 6 inches of top soil they took from Peary Court for fill. I still dream to this day as to what could be hidden in all that fill dirt!:BangHead:

Frank

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No bravado... Just a sense of humor about it...
Com'on I've found much better things... Just being honest actually... How many pennies have you dug?
How many 1872 Indians?
They are pretty darn rare when looking at the numbers
Taunting????

Lol. I found an 1872. Last year in the woods behind my house. I thought I hit the jackpot with the red book values and realized real world put it under a $100. Still a great find. Now if I could only find the 1877

Here is my thread

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438590

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah man I understand value and I also understand if you're going to sell to someone who sells coins to make money you're not going to get what a book shows...half... if you're lucky realistically.
That being said I would still be smiling ear to ear with a 40 dollar penny... Plus I have been in a slump and trying to break into the 18 hundreds for what seems like forever since the last one I dug I'm happy all the way around

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also peroxide is damaging to the patina of a coin.. So is olive oil really because of the fatty acids in it if trying to loosen vedigris I suggest mineral oil

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Great find Gator - really rare date. I only need the '72 and the '09-S for my IHP collection (bought, not found obviously).

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also peroxide is damaging to the patina of a coin.. So is olive oil really because of the fatty acids in it if trying to loosen vedigris I suggest mineral oil

Belive me. It is always awesome to pull anything of value from the dirt. Especially a cent worth more than a cent lol

I have had really good luck using peroxide on almost all newer coppers. It really is a case by case basis. I did kill the date on an 1820 large cent because it removed the green patina which removed any trace of the date

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Gator - really rare date. I only need the '72 and the '09-S for my IHP collection (bought, not found obviously).

That's pretty awesome good job being thorough

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Belive me. It is always awesome to pull anything of value from the dirt. Especially a cent worth more than a cent lol

I have had really good luck using peroxide on almost all newer coppers. It really is a case by case basis. I did kill the date on an 1820 large cent because it removed the green patina which removed any trace of the date

Yeah that stinks the moment the thought of peroxide and large cent came together I would have paused for a moment and thought that one through

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quick Acetone bath will not harm the coin and is used only to arrest the verdigris (i.e. starve it of moisture which allows it to continue to grow and do damage to the metal of the coin). However, if a coin is placed in Acetone and forgotten (i.e. left in it too long), it is possible that the Acetone may damage it. Mineral Oil will not harm the coin in any way whatsoever. Even Extra Virgin Olive Oil will not harm the coin but it can darken a coin if the coin is left soaking in it too long. I prefer the latter on dirty, grimy and somewhat encrusted coins as the slight acidity in the oil is better for loosening these which makes their removal much easier. It is up to Gator Boy to do with the coin as he wishes but IMHO, the coin is not really valuable enough to warrant a Professional Cleaning due to the wear, corrosion and probable pitting! If after a Professional Cleaning, the coin would grade out to an EF-40 or higher grade, then yes, a Professional Cleaning would be worth the costs! However, Gator Boy's coin will never grade anywhere near that high!

Frank

I totally agree with you.
but I have to beg to differ on the grade , I see a VG coin. but maybe Liberty is more visible than I can see.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. I found an 1872. Last year in the woods behind my house. I thought I hit the jackpot with the red book values and realized real world put it under a $100. Still a great find. Now if I could only find the 1877

Here is my thread

1872 indian head. Should it be graded?

I only use the Blue Book, when dreaming what I can get out of my coins 'Or & updated "Grey Sheet".

Been Shot Down on to many $ 'worth' assumptions on my detecting finds.
I guess E-bey is the best bang for your buck.

Dug plenty of those $20 Plain 10-or 14 K wedding bands.
I just keep my Gold & Silver now until I know where to get at-least 90% of melt ,(If even Possible).

Just thinking..
I guess when one Finds any item your In the +$ Right Off. Oh well.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only use the Blue Book, when dreaming what I can get out of my coins 'Or & updated "Grey Sheet".

Been Shot Down on to many $ 'worth' assumptions on my detecting finds.
I guess E-bey is the best bang for your buck.

Dug plenty of those $20 Plain 10-or 14 K wedding bands.
I just keep my Gold & Silver now until I know where to get at-least 90% of melt ,(If even Possible).

Just thinking..
I guess when one Finds any item your In the +$ Right Off. Oh well.

I do a lot of thrift store hunting for gold and silver. And almost always get over spot on gold selling on eBay

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgive me?

These are Pottery Shards?
The designs on some of them a very Cool.
Is there pieces of shell in others?
Please Explain...
I like to learn.

Thanks
BTW Is your name Bob.?

They are Spanish silver cob coins from a ship that went down in a hurricane in July 1715
The other piece is Kang Xi porcelain

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread