Whats up with this half?

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
What's up with this half?

Hey coin community, I came across this half dollar last night. It looks to be a gold-plated 1967 Kennedy half, however it seems to have a problem...

It doesn't ping like a 40% half dollar. The ring sounds like a cupronickel planchet (though I know it couldn't be as they weren't even manufactured for four more years), maybe an even higher tone than that. It has to be a 40% planchet, right?

My question is, well, what the heck is going on with it? Do you think whatever gold-plating process that was used somehow messed with the composition? Why doesn't it sound like a silver planchet?

IMAG0624_1.jpg

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may have toned that golden hue. It doesn't look played to me. I would weigh it for a more detailed answer. Probably just a regular 40% half

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Take some pics of both the Obverse and Reverse as well as the coin's edge in natural (outside) somewhat shaded light and upload them here. It is hard to tell from the pic whether it was Gold plated/dipped or not and the new pics might show better! If the coin was Gold plated/dipped, that could explain the deadening of the expected Silver ring even though it should only be 40% Silver.

Frank

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys, thanks for the responses! I'm 95% sure it's plated. I know you can't see very well in the pic, but there is some wear on both the obverse and reverse on the high points where you can see the "silver" poking through the gold.

The thing is, I can't imagine a microscopic layer of gold could completely change the ring of a 40% planchet... maybe the process of plating itself changes it? I'll try to get another pic or two up tonight.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any scratch in the toning would reveal "silver" coloring beneath, so, it's not necessarily plated, although I have seen a few that were. Painted ones too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread