PCGS Coin Grading Contest...

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone entered one of these?

PCGS has been doing coin grading contests at major coin shows across the country for a few years now. How it works: you test your grading skills by guessing the grades of 20 coins. Whoever gets the most right wins.

I went to the Long Beach show a couple years ago, hoping to compete. I had the PCGS Photograde app for my phone & spent many hours studying every pic of every denomination from half cents to $20 gold. When I got there, I was pretty bummed when I found out they had canceled it.

Fast forward two years...

PCGS posts on their website that they'll be doing a grading contest in Long Beach again this year. So back to studying coins I go - this time not only the app, but PCGS set registry photos, ebay & Heritage auction photos, and every PCGS coin at every coin shop in town - anything I could find in a PCGS holder.

The show arrives and I finally get my 30 minutes to test my skills acquired not only over the last couple months but 25 years as a collector. I was in awe at how challenging it was. Based on previous contests, I figured it would be mostly silver dollars and gold, but ended up having to grade just about everything: a half cent, proof buffalo nickel, a Washington quarter, Indian cents, a few tough to grade toned dollars, gold - you name it it was in the contest. I left feeling I didn't do well, and after a couple weeks w/out hearing from PCGS, I figured I had no shot.

Then yesterday, got an email:

"Congrats on winning the coin grading contest..."

Cha-Ching! $1000.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations thats awesome badbluff- good for you

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome! Congrats! I wonder how much they pay? You should ask if they're hiring! Sounds like you've already made a good impression.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great! Did they offer you a job too?? :notworthy:

OP
OP
baddbluff

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No job offers - maybe if I had got all of them correct. I've met a few people who graded for them in the past. It sounds like a sweet gig, as long as you're okay with staring at coins all day. It's really tough to get on with them, but I've heard they earn $100K+/year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread