The Coin that Got Away...

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever passed on a coin at a show or coin shop that was awesome because the price they were asking was a bit high? (And then regretted not buying it afterward?) I hate paying more than a coin is selling for at auction or more than it's listed for in a price guide. For this reason, I find myself sometimes buying less than perfect coins (not problem coins - cleaned, damaged, or ugly) at a deep discount, rather than forking out a little more $ to get the perfect coin. Two examples: several years ago I was at a show in Vegas and was shopping for a 1914D Lincoln cent. I found a really nice VF coin in an older PCGS holder. It was the perfect color and probably even a little undergraded. I walked by his booth and looked at it 3 times. Finally I came to my senses and decided to buy it, and it was gone! The sad thing is, the coin today would be worth much more than I would've paid for it back then. Last year I saw a '72 doubled die at Long Beach. It was a 65RD, but much better than most - super bright. The reverse was probably a 66 or maybe 67. I passed on it cuz I have one already, but mine is kinda flat and has toned a little in the holder. Shoulda bought it! My point is: if you see something that's really nice but a little higher priced, just get it. Don't pay too high of a premium - there are dealers out there who are off their rocker. But keep in mind that they do this for a living and they have to make a profit.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I have paid more than I thought I should for coins many times and after the initial annoyance wore off I have never regretted it. I still regret passing on coins because I thought they were too much though that I haven't been able to find since.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't necessarily have this one getaway but it was a chance that I had thought for sure , then I met up with the guy that was selling them today and got a chance to talk to him. He said he felt like he got ripped off. He sold 10 1 ounce pre-33 gold coins along with two pre-33 Eagles all graded. Also $300 face value silver and half dollars for $11,000. And then the guy got him to throw in also two gold watches. And he said afterwards he felt really sick about it. And my first question and only question was why did you not call me?

He said he wasn't sure if he should've gone through me for a licensed dealer instead. And I said well you can't go back and change your mind and I have no idea what your stuff is worth without looking at it so be happy with what you got. Then he tried asking me how much they sell for and I just said I had no clue without looking at it but he got screwed I do feel...

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reminds me of a story my Dad told me.... in 1972 he had a chance to buy a 16-D Merc for $90, but that was too much money for him to spend, having a young family and all... to this day its the only coin he needs to complete that set.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions