Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert but it is worth at least a few dollars.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be in the $6 to 10 range without seeing better pics.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
With full Liberty showing on the headband and full diamonds on the neck band I would think it might bring a tad more than cudamark's estimate but a quick look at Ebay completed auctions shows sold prices all over the map from $5 to over $20.

OP
OP
P

PChammer

Jun 11, 2010
Nice to know for a penny it can be worth even a few bucks at all. I have a slew of Indian Head pennies but none of them are close to the shape this one is in so either way it's a hand me down to my kids.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a very nice condition coin. Is the color in the pic correct, or just a effect of lighting? Generally, the preferred color for circulated cents is chocolate brown, and any other color will hurt the value. Unless you are planning on selling it, it really doesn't matter. It's a great score for a CRH find, and anybody would be happy with it.

OP
OP
P

PChammer

Jun 11, 2010
Its a very nice condition coin. Is the color in the pic correct, or just a effect of lighting? Generally, the preferred color for circulated cents is chocolate brown, and any other color will hurt the value. Unless you are planning on selling it, it really doesn't matter. It's a great score for a CRH find, and anybody would be happy with it.

You are spot on sir. The coin is actually chocolate brown but with the phone cam, didn't come out so well. It's actually much darker than the picture. I had my son take one with his good camera for me.

EDIT: It's actually darker than this pic as well, the color of ... chocolate, yep.

Last edited:

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen one in that good of shape. I'm sure coin collectors have them but I haven't come across one. Nice find even if it wasn't under a coil.

OP
OP
P

PChammer

Jun 11, 2010
I've never seen one in that good of shape. I'm sure coin collectors have them but I haven't come across one. Nice find even if it wasn't under a coil.

Thanks. Yeah I've decided to take it in and get it looked at and while I don't know the process of getting it authenticated, I feel it would up the value no matter what, especially If I do decide to sell it to someone, this way they know it was looked at by a pro and not my word lol.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting it certified would cost way more than the coin is worth and wouldn't add any substantial value to it. You can get an opinion from a local coin shop if you like......they're usually free. Sending it in to be slabbed can cost over $60 for a single coin.

gigispop7

Mar 22, 2009
Oklahoma city,Ok
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett AT gold, Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice IHP ...

OP
OP
P

PChammer

Jun 11, 2010
Getting it certified would cost way more than the coin is worth and wouldn't add any substantial value to it. You can get an opinion from a local coin shop if you like......they're usually free. Sending it in to be slabbed can cost over $60 for a single coin.

Yep you are correct. I did in fact take it to a licensed coin dealer today and he looked at it for free. He was highly impressed with the grade of shape it was in. The only down side "according to him" is the patina. It's a dark chocolate color but he said that only means it had some sort of chemical adhere to it at one time and they should be a very light color. I don't know about that because I've looked at a lot of penny's that had the same color and it was a GOOD thing so I don't know there.

Aside from that he estimated about 60 dollars and said it would have been much much higher if not for the darker brown patina.

Cheers

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A "licensed" dealer should know that a coin that old pulled from the wild aren't going to be light colored. Shows what he knows. Everyone is always mentioning these licensed dealers. Here's a little secret. The only license they need is a business license and a tax number. Most don't have any major numismatic skill other than what they read and the price of silver.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep you are correct. I did in fact take it to a licensed coin dealer today and he looked at it for free. He was highly impressed with the grade of shape it was in. The only down side "according to him" is the patina. It's a dark chocolate color but he said that only means it had some sort of chemical adhere to it at one time and they should be a very light color. I don't know about that because I've looked at a lot of penny's that had the same color and it was a GOOD thing so I don't know there.

Aside from that he estimated about 60 dollars and said it would have been much much higher if not for the darker brown patina.

Cheers
If I owned it and someone was willing to give me $60, I'd take that in a heartbeat!

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The color looks to me to be from a dug coin that has been boiled in peroxide to help bring out more detail. Boiling in peroxide will turn copper coins a dark brown. Dug coins are considered to have environmental damage and will grade at least one grade lower than the details show.

OP
OP
P

PChammer

Jun 11, 2010
Going with the first reply, I talked to the guy again and he had a whole different story and stated it could be worth a bit more -_- When I told him the chocolate color was supposed to be a good thing, he said yeah, maybe he could look at it again and re-grade it for me. Um, correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't he have known this to begin with? So yeah "Enamel" I see your point lol.

Now, if it was boiled in peroxide which is a possibility then no, I don't expect any worth out of it. I don't think it was a dug penny though. Either way I'm calling it good enough and just keeping it for my kids because regardless, at least it's not one you find in great shape all the time.

Oh and I only post what my learning experience "what I'm going through finding information" because I feel it may help others along the way too. Every time I find something new, I learn 100 new things about coins or whatever it is I find.

So yep, thanks for all the replies and have a great 4th people!

Last edited:

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Viewing the 2nd photo I would bet that it is a dug coin based on the pitting and the dark color. If that guy is offering you $60 take it and run. Then go buy this coin: 1900 Indian Cent NGC MS63 BN | eBay. MUCH nicer if you ask my opinion. Personally I would tell your cent its worth $5-10. Keep in mind it could just be a bad photograph too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread