coin hunting/collecting newby ?s

alexie90

Tenderfoot
Jun 26, 2015
Chelan County, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all

hope this is the right sub/forum. this isnt really related to coin roll hunting, just coin hunting/collecting in general for the most part.

*has anyone had any luck at like flea markets collecting coins or finding coin dealers?

*does anyone say for example do one of the following or have similar ideas
*take you loose change you have/receive, then separate it into say rolls by coin type and/or separate into by year and mint, then you could have say a roll (for example) of either say a roll of quarters from 1980 or a roll from 1980 mint D or P only. Or like with the newer quarters even a roll of say state AK quarter mint
*do you take your loose change and any brand new coins, coins that you can tell are fresh out of a new roll, and maybe keep those or put them in any holders to save up since they're so new.

*for those not necessarily looking for just silver coins or better, having a friend who maybe has a vending machine and collect coins that way. I use to have a boyfriend several years back who had a few vending machines that he would fill up and take care of... and was able to get some coins that way for my collection at times... mainly for filling in the books or when the Sacagawea's came out.

Thanks, Suzanne

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Suzanne and welcome.........

Never tried flea markets but have had some luck at local pawn shops.............I usually try to find items they have interest in and trade for coins, if possible. And, I do buy junk silver at $0.50 over spot.

I only use the plastic tubes (from LCS....local coin shop) to store any "keepers" that accumulate beyond my coin book needs........especially anything AU or BU.

From the mid 80's until last year when I began putting books together for the grandkids, I would always put aside the first 5 or 6 coins of all denominations for that calendar year...........I had several canvas bags full of coins, but it made it much easier to fill up those books!!

Having a ready supply of coins isn't a problem. Go to your bank and purchase what you want in MWR (machine wrapped rolls) or CWR (customer wrapped rolls). The real problem is finding another bank to "dump" those coins you have searched. There are several threads about how to buy/dump and to establish accounts at multiple banks.
The read is worth your time............

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found some coins at flea markets, but you have to be careful and know what you are doing. Most coins I see at flea markets are way overpriced, and while I haven't come across any, I have heard of many counterfeits as well. I wouldn't think there would be much point in separating all coins by year and mint, but it might be worthwhile to search for errors and older coins.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found some coins at flea markets, but you have to be careful and know what you are doing. Most coins I see at flea markets are way overpriced, and while I haven't come across any, I have heard of many counterfeits as well.

Absolutely correct. Its worth looking for varieties though, or coins that wouldn't show up in a Redbook. Most sellers at a flea market will know very little about coins, will over grade (if they really try to grade at all), and price them too high. But if you have enough knowledge, you may find a small treasure here or there that they were not able to ID, or ID the variety.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread