Very Solid Crusty Roman Greek coins etc.

coinbear

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2015
Plano,Tx.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, have been doing some collecting and cleaning of ancient coins. Used lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, case tumbler with all kinds of media, walnut shells, ceramic, metal shot. Hot and Cold treatments. Having a problem with a crust that looks like tar or concrete. Any suggestions on how to remove crust from coins. Tried also bamboo and hard plastic picks. Was going to step it up to metal picks and maybe try a dermal tool with brass or steel brushes. Any thoughts about that anyone? :BangHead:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you tried Acetone? Besides arresting (stopping) verdigris, acetone will sometimes cause certain encrustations to become brittle and more easy to fall away from coins. I will then place the coin or coins in Extra Virgin Olive Oil for a week or more which will loosen the encrustations more. Once removed from the Extra Virgin Olive Oil, you can gently pick at the encrustations with a toothpick if Silver, Copper or Bronze coins or you can use a green Rose Thorn on Copper or Bronze coins but not on Silver coins.

Frank

OP
OP
C

coinbear

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2015
Plano,Tx.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have not tryed acetone. how long do I leave the coins sit in it? Steve

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Have not tryed acetone. how long do I leave the coins sit in it? Steve

I would try a 15 minute bath in it, check to see if some of the encrustations have become brittle and will flake off. If not, put them back in for another 15 minutes, rinse with water, then place in a soaking bath of Extra Virgin Olive Oil for a week up to several weeks. Check the coins every 2 or 3 days to see if any or all of the encrustations will come off. For the tougher ones, place them back in the soaking bath.

Frank

OP
OP
C

coinbear

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2015
Plano,Tx.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advice so far. Going to try the acetone as soon as I have time to go to Home Depot and pick some up. Steve :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread