Jul 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I had originally thought the 2 on the left were Ds since, with my naked eye, they look different than the one on the right which is clearly an S.. after taking a pic and posting it, I'm not so sure:

http://i.imgur.com/cSaJwfy.jpg

Some other coins too, most appear to not be rare, a couple error coins which may be worth something?

coins - Album on Imgur

All 3 look like "S" to me, but what do I know, I'm some random guy on the internet.

The Barber coin is counterstamped (someone probably put their initials on it or something like that, not an error).

The wheat cent doesn't look like an error, it just looks heavily circulated and the last digit has worn off.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, all three 1916 Mercury Dimes have "S" Mintmarks! The difference in the appearance of the "S" Mintmarks is due to Die Polishing and grinding (i.e. repairs) by Mint employees and likely Die Deterioration. Nice collection of Silver and other coins and that is a nice Off-Center Dime you have!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BilldaCat10

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, all three 1916 Mercury Dimes have "S" Mintmarks! The difference in the appearance of the "S" Mintmarks is due to Die Polishing and grinding (i.e. repairs) by Mint employees and likely Die Deterioration. Nice collection of Silver and other coins and that is a nice Off-Cent Dime you have!

Frank

Nuts, guess I won't quit my day job.

What about the 1991 quarter with no mint mark? Any value there?

From what I can tell, most of the other coins I have, the half dollar ones, the peace dollars, etc.. maybe worth $10-$20 a piece at best. I figure at that value, I'm just going to go ahead and put these away for another decade or two and see what happens - plus it's just kind of cool to have something so old. What's the best way to do this? The coins really don't seem to be valuable enough to buy coin protectors or something for, given that most of them are in a 'Good' condition already from circulation..

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What about the 1991 quarter with no mint mark? Any value there?

What do you see as having any value to it? It just looks like a normal quarter to me that's been circulated or possible grease filled die.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BilldaCat10

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought it was an error due to no mint mark. I guess it could be grease filled die? I dunno. It looks pretty smooth there though, no imprint at all, and the rest of the coin is fine so I don't think it's rubbed off due to circulation.

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post a picture of it? There was something that I saw that said that between 1988 and 1991 the Philadelphia mint had trouble striking the coins well and may have led to not having a mint mark or at least not being able to see it clearly.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you post a picture of it? There was something that I saw that said that between 1988 and 1991 the Philadelphia mint had trouble striking the coins well and may have led to not having a mint mark or at least not being able to see it clearly.

I second that! If the coin was truly struck with no Mintmark and is not due to grease clogging the Die, then it could prove to be fairly valuable.

Frank

OP
OP
B

BilldaCat10

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was in the earlier album I linked: http://i.imgur.com/zB6YOtH.jpg?1

I can maybe break out my DSLR to get a better pic.. doubt I'm going to get better quality with my cell phone

How can I tell if it's grease clogged vs no mint mark?

OP
OP
B

BilldaCat10

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
This was in the earlier album I linked: http://i.imgur.com/zB6YOtH.jpg?1

I can maybe break out my DSLR to get a better pic.. doubt I'm going to get better quality with my cell phone

How can I tell if it's grease clogged vs no mint mark?

Sometimes that is almost impossible to do! Seeing that the coin already appears to have been slightly struck through grease and/or Die Deterioration due to the weakness on "IN" and "TR" in IN GOD WE TRUST, it is a good possibility that this is why there is no Mint mark visible. A mini-microscope might help but it may be a situation that would be best left up to some experts at Coneca http://conecaonline.org/content/coneca_examiners.html !

Frank

Last edited:

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like the "In God We Trust" has some grease filled areas, which probably indicates it's just a grease filled die and not a true missing mint mark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions