Question on American Silver Eagles

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought several American Eagle silver coins sight unseen. The price I agreed to was below spot at the time but by the time I finally closed the purchase the price was above spot, but not by much. They were all 1992 uncirculated (not proof) coins. I was expecting coins that were loose or in 2x2s. However, it turned out that the coins were in individual U.S. mint cases - i.e., the little velvet-covered hard cases and white cardboard sleeves used when one buys these coins direct from the US mint rather than from dealers. I don't really put any value on the fancy packaging, but was wondering whether silver eagles packaged this way draw any premium over unpackaged versions of the same coin.

Thanks

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently bought several American Eagle silver coins sight unseen. The price I agreed to was below spot at the time but by the time I finally closed the purchase the price was above spot, but not by much. They were all 1992 uncirculated (not proof) coins. I was expecting coins that were loose or in 2x2s. However, it turned out that the coins were in individual U.S. mint cases - i.e., the little velvet-covered hard cases and white cardboard sleeves used when one buys these coins direct from the US mint rather than from dealers. I don't really put any value on the fancy packaging, but was wondering whether silver eagles packaged this way draw any premium over unpackaged versions of the same coin.

Thanks

I would think that if you were selling individually you would do better to have the packaging. I know if it was me buying them, I'd want the original packaging, but that opinion would vary from person to person.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread