Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I assembled all the silver coins I have found at my favourite location since 2010, seeing them all together was very rewarding. These coins represent hundreds upon hundreds of hours of detecting with several different machines. This spot is about two acres. I didn't keep track of other coins and things quite as meticulously as these silvers, but there have been many IH cents, Wheats, Canadian coins, buffalo and V nickels, jewelry, and tons of clad...and a mountain of trash. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436763498.154688.jpg

When I was first starting out back in 2010, my father in law suggested I try a location. I got exclusive permission from the council of the organization that operates on this land, and it didn't hurt that he is the president. I also got the green light from both Canada and U.S. Customs. I believe these permissions were not granted to the detectorists that heavily pounded this area back in the 1980's. Most places around are void of easy targets, once in a while I run across a place that has more, and I believe these are places that previous hunters were denied permission. Even on this location, there is an invisible line where the finds stop abruptly. The ground is not disturbed, I believe they went as far as they could and that was that.

In 2010 I got out my GTAX550 and spent many hours roaming this site. I found my first IH cent, and then a few silvers started to pop out. My third or fourth hunt there produced my biggest silver spill ever, an 1896 Morgan silver dollar, 1896s semi key date Barber half, and a 1904 Barber half. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436764422.774071.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436764451.092725.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436764500.861435.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436764528.763458.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436764614.451666.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436764643.185226.jpg

The rest of the season I detected hard and found a nice mix of finds, but they were thinning. I ordered an ATPro for the next season, and it reinvigorated the site. In 2012 I found yet another Barber half, and later my most valuable single coin find, a 1903s Barber dime. It's a beautiful key date, and worth hundreds of dollars. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436764882.865684.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436764907.563628.jpg

2013 got slower, and in 2014 I think I only found one lonely silver Roosevelt dime there. This year I ordered a new DEUS, and have found a few more silver coins to bring me to 51, but it has been taking many many hours. Most hunts there now produce nothing. My last 10 hours there have only produced tiny bits of foil, tiny lead fragments, and rusty nails. If you could time-lapse the spot, I have probably dug every single square inch of soil. I have detected it in every soil condition-dry as a bone, totally saturated and water logged, semi frozen, and just right.

Here's a shot of the Barbers/Morgan ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436765591.421515.jpg

The old Canadian silver, including six fishscales ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436765662.397090.jpg

The more modern silver ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436765741.113353.jpg

This spot has been so good to me, it's hard to stomach the fact that it's so hard to find anything anymore. I'll always return, simply because I love the spot, have exclusive permission, and I guess you never know. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436766278.660675.jpg

Virgin spots still exist, you just have to look for them. Timing has a lot to do with it as well. I thank god the guy guys back in the 1980's weren't allowed to hunt this particular spot. The stars aligned and allowed the circumstances to provide this wonderful spot for me to hunt. I don't know if I'll ever find another place like this, but I am searching. This hobby is such an adventure, I absolutely love it, and wanted to share my experience with a virgin spot.

Happy hunting everybody...

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is just AWESOME!!

That's a lifetime of finds for most, so Sweet.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For one area finds ,that is awesome.IT WAS OVER A 5 YEAR SPAN,BUT WELL WORTH YOUR EFFORT. Well done and congrats.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic finds, including the sweet virgin site. You are living the dream.:notworthy:

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rockin' post. I believe that I found an 03 Barber dime last year. I should check it out, I had no idea.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow , That's a haul of Silver coins - It is amazing how effective those guys and gals were back in the 70's and 80's in
cleaning up the silver coins . This many decades later it takes real imagination, and research , or permission on private
property - or some combination of all of the above to squeak out a silver . You are fortunate indeed to have had
access to a property like that .

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow jc, when you put em all together like that, I'd say that place was killer! ! Morgan, barbers, etc etc, absolutely insane!, good for you for having such a great spot for all them years!

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody, now I just need to find another loaded location lol!

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on finding all of those silver coins at one location. sounds like you put in some hard work.
You know the old saying, "Hard work pays off in the end".
I think there might still be a few more in that field, out there just waiting for you ........
That is one fine pile of silver, and the details on some of those coins are amazing.:thumbsup:
If there is a virgin site down here in MS somewhere, I sure haven't come across it yet.
You are one fortunate fella.

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know exactly what you mean when you were talking about how it is to have such a productive site, how unusual they are, and how sad you feel when it's done.
I had a very good site, that kept producing, surrounded by yards that had obviously been hit. When it stopped producing, I think I went into a depression! Now I'm searching again for that virgin, pristine site.. I think they are getting fewer and far between.

GREAT finds you had! Thanks for posting them all together. I also would have been just as excited about the other artifacts and coins, It took me a long time to find my first V nickle and the other things you mentioned. cool post! HH! Here's to our finding that next virgin site! lol

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding all of those silver coins at one location. sounds like you put in some hard work.
You know the old saying, "Hard work pays off in the end".
I think there might still be a few more in that field, out there just waiting for you ........
That is one fine pile of silver, and the details on some of those coins are amazing.:thumbsup:
If there is a virgin site down here in MS somewhere, I sure haven't come across it yet.
You are one fortunate fella.

Thanks bone. Some of the coins are worn, black, and crusty. Luckily the good ones came out in great shape. It's cool that the nicest barber dime outta there is the rarest!

Keep looking for your virgin spot, it's there somewhere!

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know exactly what you mean when you were talking about how it is to have such a productive site, how unusual they are, and how sad you feel when it's done.
I had a very good site, that kept producing, surrounded by yards that had obviously been hit. When it stopped producing, I think I went into a depression! Now I'm searching again for that virgin, pristine site.. I think they are getting fewer and far between.

GREAT finds you had! Thanks for posting them all together. I also would have been just as excited about the other artifacts and coins, It took me a long time to find my first V nickle and the other things you mentioned. cool post! HH! Here's to our finding that next virgin site! lol

It's definitely bittersweet haha! It just means more work finding another good spot.

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have me curious, how much gold have you dug from this location?

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have me curious, how much gold have you dug from this location?

I've pulled up quite a few small items like cufflinks that are gold plated, but as of yet I haven't dug any significant gold, like coins.

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too can relate to special spots like this. Luckily for the past three seasons
I have had the privilege. But now i am in the same boat as you. Looking for a replacement.
I still love going good though. Kind of a being at home feeling, when I'm
Also you never know when that tin foil or rusty nail, may turn out to be your best find

I would imagine you have hit this place with all frequencies. I'm always amazed what can stand out,
With a frequency change.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too can relate to special spots like this. Luckily for the past three seasons
I have had the privilege. But now i am in the same boat as you. Looking for a replacement.
I still love going good though. Kind of a being at home feeling, when I'm
Also you never know when that tin foil or rusty nail, may turn out to be your best find

I would imagine you have hit this place with all frequencies. I'm always amazed what can stand out,
With a frequency change.

Yes, I started with an old Garrett, then pounded it with the ATPro, and now I have spent many hours there with my DEUS in both a preset program, and then in a highly intelligent full tones program. Every detector/program change has produced results, but it's pretty quiet now. But hey you're right, you never know what will reveal itself and surprise you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions