Weird Nickel

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found this metal detecting the beach. Can anyone tell me if it's a minting error or damage after minting and what it might be worth? (Besides 5 cents) :)

1992 misprint nickel.jpg
werid nickel face.jpg
weird nickel back.jpg

Last edited:

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a cud, and if so is a pretty striking example. Errors are not my thing, but if that's what it is, it would probably get a error collectors attention.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely not a cud. Only thing I can think of is environmental damage.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a mint striking error of some sort with that raised reverse side upper rim.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Philly mint is a good sign, since they have horrible quality control. the '92 is also a better date which should give a nice value. a Tnet'er gave me a tip: email the photo to Mike Diamond- [email protected] and ask his opinion, he replied to my query the next day. GREAT SAVE

OP
OP
Kapidr

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
the Philly mint is a good sign, since they have horrible quality control. the '92 is also a better date which should give a nice value. a Tnet'er gave me a tip: email the photo to Mike Diamond- [email protected] and ask his opinion, he replied to my query the next day. GREAT SAVE

Thanks I just emailed him and will see what happens :) Actually just got an error message for that email address are you sure its [email protected]?

OP
OP
Kapidr

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
His reply is he believes "A thin apron of metal was relocated from the edge and rim to the area over the peripheral letters. Subsequent wear caused the thin metal to mold itself to the underlying letters."

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
His reply is he believes "A thin apron of metal was relocated from the edge and rim to the area over the peripheral letters. Subsequent wear caused the thin metal to mold itself to the underlying letters."

Probably from rolling around in a clothes dryer.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
A few months ago I scrapped several dryers from a laundromat. While most of the coins that had been caught in parts of the drum looked fine, I did find a few that were similar in appearance to the above nickel. Conclusion? Your nick did time in a dryer or something else that turns around like one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread