@ coin dealers today verify my Mint Error penny is LEGIT!!!

BrianDickSmith

Dec 31, 2013
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after waiting over a year I finally brought my possible mint error penny to 2 different coin shops local to me. I had posted about the penny here but at the time I wasent as active on here to bounce ideas back and fourth so I figured id get some answers b4 I reposted. Its actually been 3 coin shops I brought the penny to but 1 tried telling me it was worthless but would buy it for 5$ as a "conversation peice"
I was born at night....you know the rest.
So I left there kinda pissed that the guy and his wife tried tot ake advantage of me. Anyway since then I brought it to 2 dsiff places and both have said they can say for 99.9% certainty that it is a mint error rather then what seems to be a perfect "wear job" where the last digit of the date could be polished off with the right effort which i assure all of you is not the case. Only prob now is no one has any idea what it could be worth. Now that I have verification that its more then likley a legit mint error what would be the next step to get a possible value? I dont intend on selling it any time soon but of coarse I want to know a value if any. I posted pics below. Any and all feed back is appreciated!!

197PENNY.png attrrrrrrrachment.php.jpg

OP
OP
BrianDickSmith

BrianDickSmith

Dec 31, 2013
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been researching non stop and I cant find any other way for that to happen other then a grease filled error like you said.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaha Worthless but they will buy it from ya. I had some dude tell me that about some stuff before too. It was only reassurance it as probally something good

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering if you sent it to one of the grading companies if you could at least get the missing date authenticated , I know they'll
want to give it a tag of environmentally damaged because of it's pitted surfaces but depending on rarity /value , it may be worth it .

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
The likelihood definitely points to a mint error. The only way I could think of of getting a result like that would be to cast a mold around the last number and use acid to slowly "paint it off." Of course, if somebody were to go to all that trouble...why in the heck would they get rid of it? Any other methods would be so complex that it would make no sense to pursue. Hence, logic dictates its the real deal. Maybe wait until a numismatist convention is in town and take it there.

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, it is really a Conversation piece. hehehehe Very cool

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is a filled die error. Unfortunately it is pretty common as errors go, and not much value. A quick look at ebay sold listings shows them going for anywhere from less than a dollar up to a few dollars. Still a neat find though.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, it is a filled die error. Unfortunately it is pretty common as errors go, and not much value. A quick look at ebay sold listings shows them going for anywhere from less than a dollar up to a few dollars. Still a neat find though.

Agreed. It is an interesting conversation piece but not rare or valuable. Also, the condition is not great.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should have sold it for the 5 dollars. Greasers are common and I would love to sell all I find for that!

OP
OP
BrianDickSmith

BrianDickSmith

Dec 31, 2013
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for ALL the responces everyone. Very much appreciated. I knew it wasent gonna be my retirement value in any way but I have never owned/held a mint error missing digit coin so Im absolutly keeping it even if its worth face value.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put it on E-bay with a high reserve......you'll find out exactly what it's worth at this time and place.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gosh, I'm going to have to start looking at my zinc cents a little closer!
Good find!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The OP's coin is not a zinc cent.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would keep it too, even if just for a one time find for me. I think its neat and would put it in my coin collection.....Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread