Newbie question about the "S" mint mark.

dean20653

Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I just ordered 3 rolls of ATB quarters from the US mint. P D and S . My question is are the S marks ALL proofs? Or does San Francisco make business strikes? .. I know it won't be silver they will be clad and I know the grade will vary but I just don't know what all the S mark means. Any help or good resources to check out would be great.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They will be proofs. The last business strike coins minted in San Fran were in 1974.

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They struck ATB "s" business strike quality quarters in 2012 only for sets. But, as far as I know they were never released into circulation.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
They will be proofs. The last business strike coins minted in San Fran were in 1974.
The last business strike coin that circulated was minted in San Francisco - the 1980-S Susan B. Anthony dollar (1981-S SBAs were made and sold over FV).
Business strike quarters that are not intended for circulation (dated 2012 to present) are still minted in San Francisco and sold at a premium to collectors by the Mint.

View attachment 1197967

OP -

To answer your question, there are currently 3 variations of S mint quarters (since 2012):

- Clad proof
- Silver proof
- Clad business strike

If you bought one of the 3 roll sets from the mint, like this one, (Blue Ridge Parkway Quarters 3 Roll Set | US Mint) then you are getting the clad business strike.

The silver and clad S mint proof quarters are ONLY available in proof sets and the mint doesn't sell them by the roll.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's true. I forgot all about the SBA coins. My bad. I concentrate mostly on cents so I erred.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That's true. I forgot all about the SBA coins. My bad. I concentrate mostly on cents so I erred.

It's okay, I didn't mean for my post to sound as know-it-all or nasty as it may have sounded. :thumbsup:

I only even remember the SBAs because I find a lot of those!

OP
OP
D

dean20653

Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow awesome guys. Thank you very much for the responses and information and yes you were spot on with the rolls that I bought lol so I guess people break open the plastic holders from proof sets to have them graded. Kinda odd I think. .. anyways I really appreciate the help you guys gave me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread