Sealed collectors set ... how to sell?

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm new to this forum; as I hang out in the garage sale and thrift store finds. Jewelry is my thing.
It's a long story, but basically, I ended up buying two sets of the 2015 Coin & Chronicles Set - Dwight D. Eisenhower. These were released today and sold out right away. Both my son and I got two sets. We were supposed to sell them to a coin company for them to sell, but then I realized, DUH! I should sell them myself. I looked them up on Ebay, and the pre-sales were for $200 a set.
Here are my questions ... should I sell all four sets as soon as we get them? Should we open the boxes from the Mint, or sell them sealed? My son asked if we should wait a few months to sell them; maybe the price would go up? What do you guys think based on past experience?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Flip them still sealed in packaging. Value likely won['t go up. The demand is now, not in a year from now. Perfect example is the Homestead ATB quarter DDO. When first reported, they were selling upwards of $100+ each. Now, the price has come down to less than half.

dean20653

Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still new myself but I do know a LOT of people are pissed they sold out so fast.. kept them sealed and sell them now. As soon as they arrive, ship them out. People are mad and will pay the premium for them. Best of luck to you.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If they sold out right away and no more will be minted, then the values/prices should go up once most or all of the Coin Dealers (including the online Companies and Sellers) run out of the sets. That is the way I see it and has been what happened with some other sets that sold out right away. Just don't hold onto them too long as these will start showing up from secondary sources (i.e. folks and some investors that purchased them and sell them when the price goes up) and the market could get temporarily flooded with them.

Frank

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks so much. My listing is up (BIN). I told my son we need to get his listing up. I really want to start his at $.99 auction, but he won't let me.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Thanks so much. My listing is up (BIN). I told my son we need to get his listing up. I really want to start his at $.99 auction, but he won't let me.

Did your son pay for his own? If not and you paid for it, then he shouldn't have any say in the matter. I personally ignore BIN listings. I think you'll have more visibility as a 99 cent starting auction. No worries on the item selling below market value.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, he paid for it. He's a married man. Lol. He was the one who told me about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions