I tried... Made me sick!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided a couple weeks ago I was going to sell off my Morgan Silverdollar's. Well I listed 2 on eBay. Started with the 3rd. Started to get this sick feeling in my stomach.... As I saw them start the empty out of my folders and gave in about five minutes and pulled the listings. I can't do it man!!! I can't! My business partner wants to buy them. I don't know if I could even do that. There are a couple I would like to get graded but I don't know I guess I'm just going to put them back for a while. Don't really need the money at the moment.. So I guess I have to sell off my other 25 piles of garbage before I get to the coins! Thanks for listening to my dilemma.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Things... Nothing but things...

I started selling my Olympic Collection. It was really hard, until I remembered that they were things, nothing but things. Once I realized that, it became easy. I sold tons. I hope to pay a bit of my kids college tuition... There are always things more important than things.

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I started selling my Olympic Collection. It was really hard, until I remembered that they were things, nothing but things. Once I realized that, it became easy. I sold tons. I hope to pay a bit of my kids college tuition... There are always things more important than things.

Yup.
Once you get a bit older you'll realize....I have all this STUFF that no one cares about but me, and one day I'll seize up and keel over, and it'll all end up in a garage sale for a dollar.
Sell it. Give it away to someone that will appreciate it. You might be surprised how good it makes you feel.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other

Very rarely on TNET do we such profound advice that can truly echo true to the soul. If you can channel even a fraction of what he is trying to tell you then it will be to your great benefit...

I don't want to compare advice because I think dejapooh has far outdone anything I could say; however, this is a true story.

In 2005 I finished medical school in Albany, NY and moved to Gainesville, Fl to do my residency. I had 24 hours to unload my apartment and pack it into my tiny Mazda Protege. Literally, everything I owned was in that apartment. If it didn't fit into that tiny Protege then it didn't come with me. Now, I'm driving down to Florida with what few things I own and I almost get into an accident. The thought crosses my mind. If I get into an accident, my car goes up in flames, then I have no money and I own nothing...

I was oddly at peace with that. Memories! Thoughts, feelings...nobody can ever take those away from you. Things are things...see dejapooh, the zen master, for more....

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup.
Once you get a bit older you'll realize....I have all this STUFF that no one cares about but me, and one day I'll seize up and keel over, and it'll all end up in a garage sale for a dollar.
Sell it. Give it away to someone that will appreciate it. You might be surprised how good it makes you feel.

Another true story, In 1997 I was living in Virginia Beach. I went to Chesapeake to spend the afternoon with my parents and a couple of their friends came to visit. We got to talking about my goals and how I was going to UVA for school....The gentleman of the marriage was dying of cancer, six months max. He asked me, "what can I give you to help you on your path." I didn't want to embarrass my grandparents so I didn't want to ask for anything of value. Yet he insisted I ask for something. I said, "Well, I need a bicycle pump for the bike I am bringing up." His eyes lite up like a Christmas tree! He went out to his car, grabbed a foot pump (good for tires and bike tires) and gave it to me. He was so happy that all I could do was graciously accept. Sometimes altruism graces you and sometimes you let altruism grace others.

He died six months later....but i will never forget the look of happiness on his face. 1. I doubted he had anything I needed. 2. He had exactly what I needed.

The Lord works in mysterious ways...
Crispin

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very rarely on TNET do we such profound advice that can truly echo true to the soul. If you can channel even a fraction of what he is trying to tell you then it will be to your great benefit...

I don't want to compare advice because I think dejapooh has far outdone anything I could say; however, this is a true story.

In 2005 I finished medical school in Albany, NY and moved to Gainesville, Fl to do my residency. I had 24 hours to unload my apartment and pack it into my tiny Mazda Protege. Literally, everything I owned was in that apartment. If it didn't fit into that tiny Protege then it didn't come with me. Now, I'm driving down to Florida with what few things I own and I almost get into an accident. The thought crosses my mind. If I get into an accident, my car goes up in flames, then I have no money and I own nothing...

I was oddly at peace with that. Memories! Thoughts, feelings...nobody can ever take those away from you. Things are things...see dejapooh, the zen master, for more....

This is true! Sometimes you work so hard to protect your "things" you forget to live! It will eat at you! Did I make the right choice, or am I making the wrong choice, is someone going to steal this? Affraid to leave and go out of town, in fear of someone might break in, don't trust people in your house etc....I had it bad!! I have had every silver dollar except 93s. I have had every type of watch,gold coin, and many other things! all kinds of the "rarest" stuff. Read my first post in my prospector journal. I have had it all and lost it all a few times, Just as happy either way! That stuff doesn't help you survive! What you learn and who you meet does! This really isn't a reply to Crispin just goes along with the topic.

Free yourself!:laughing7: sell them! I can list the things I've owned and was afraid to show people! If I told most people what I've had they would think I was lying! So, what's the point? I know I had it! I already won the game! Just like you did! You already won by finding the silver dollars! take a pic! Sell, move on! You might even feel better! If not? You can get anything back with a little time and work! Maybe even more!

Oh...this is coming from a guy that had a 3 bedroom house, basement, garage , and storage garage packed full! Along with 3 gun safes packed full of everything. I had to move it all! Still have to make it back to ohio to move and clean out storage garage! I'll never move like that again! If it doesn't fit in one or 2 pick up trucks I don't want it! lol I can go on forever about this topic! And why we attach ourselves to stuff! Part of it is ....We are taught to buy and be attached to things! It is part of what makes our "society" function! If no one wanted anything more than they needed? What would happen? It's ingrained in us from the start. In a round about way. That's a part of it!

Last edited:

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:)
A lot of the things that I have kicking around my house mean little to me...I acquired them because I could see value in them for "someone". Then decades later, when I find the person that was meant to have them...the look on their face is my payment. Had to tell an acquaintance...a very well-off heart surgeon...that the frame of arrowheads that he had brought to show me were, IMHO, not real. When I got home to Canada, the first thing I did was put together a box of the real deal, and mail them off to him. He was flabbergasted that I would send those to him out of the blue...phoned me 3 times to thank me.
The 150-yr-old Ben Franklin biography for the writer who has made the study of Franklin her life. The "real Indian arrowhead" handed to a 5-year-old. The spotting scope to a young budding ornithologist. The 50 year old local rodeo program signed by Lorne Greene for the long time team roper. If they protest, I tell them all the same thing: "This (object) was always meant for you. I was just holding it 'till you came along."
It's not my intention to sound like some sort of philanthropist...I'm not. I'm a bit tight with my money, truth be told. But I'm also a bit selfish; the feeling I get from sharing small things I wouldn't give up for anything. ;)

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have put my silver and gold finds in a see through plastic box that sets right out by the TV. I could not sell them as I enjoy looking at them. I hope my kids enjoy them when I pass.

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided a couple weeks ago I was going to sell off my Morgan Silverdollar's. Well I listed 2 on eBay. Started with the 3rd. Started to get this sick feeling in my stomach.... As I saw them start the empty out of my folders and gave in about five minutes and pulled the listings. I can't do it man!!! I can't! My business partner wants to buy them. I don't know if I could even do that. There are a couple I would like to get graded but I don't know I guess I'm just going to put them back for a while. Don't really need the money at the moment.. So I guess I have to sell off my other 25 piles of garbage before I get to the coins! Thanks for listening to my dilemma.

Beachkid,
I know the feeling...or at least I remember it.
I was an avid collector of trade beads and ancient beads...I guess mostly because it was so darn difficult, especially being in Canada. I traveled to find them...even to South America to find the Nueva Cadiz beads than i coveted so much.

Then came eBay. And everything became available...all you needed was money. No more hunting, no more talking to all sorts and ages of people, listening to stories, asking questions, traveling...just cut a check. That was the end of my collection. What's the point? To have collection of fine "whatevers" only proves that you have a wallet.

If you get delight from looking at your silver dollars...fine, whatever floats your boat. Just remember as others have said, "They're only things."
What was the Tolkein quote...? "One who cannot cast away a treasure at need is in fetters."
Don't be Gollem.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Check the attic, the basement.....all the nooks and crannies that have accumulations of other "stuff". There are treasures there that can be turned over for cash........anything you haven't used or admired for 2 or more years (some would say 1 year) should be given new life elsewhere...........
You'll be surprised at what you may have that has value...............
And, it will be the beginning of making your life easier and less cluttered..........move the "stuff" and grow............

Last edited:

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup.

Cool. I'll PM my address to you and you can kindly send me all of your detecting equipment. I'll appreciate it. :tongue3: :laughing7:

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:)
Looks like you already have better machines than me...
I'm not done with mine yet, but when I am it'll go to some youngster that has the bug...

Cool. I'll PM my address to you and you can kindly send me all of your detecting equipment. I'll appreciate it. :tongue3: :laughing7:

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed...they're things, inanimate objects. I found an 1812 12th Regiment button last year underwater in northern NYS. Within a week, I mailed it free of charge to the 12th Regiment re-enactment people in Virginia. They had asked me to make a cast of the button so they could improve the accuracy of their replica buttons for War of 1812 reenactments; they now have the real thing. Feels great. What I do with some of my older replica finds is put them in display cases with some typewritten background information (dates, uses, history, references, where and how they were rescued, etc.) in the hopes that my friends and future grandchildren can appreciate them and their history. Will they go to a garage sale when I croak?...maybe.

aj

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say this is the best thread I have ever read here!!
George

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok! I read it now...

The first two years of me being married I worked 80 hours a week as an electrician. Seven days a week drove back-and-forth from Fort Myers to Marco Island out to Sanibel Island and Fort Lauderdale. My wife and I Bought a condo I put $10,000 down to buy it. $10,000 to remodel it and $5000 to prevent from going into foreclosure. Walked away from doing electrical work after being laid off 9 times in 2008. Lost all our cash and ended up in $24k in debt.

That was the low part. I had nothing to fall back on I put all my money into this place I thought would be a good location for my wife and I until they were hitting us with special assessments up to $1000 a month just to stay there. Every month we would have a meeting you guys can stay here however we can't pay our water. out of 250 owners there are 15 if you left. If you want to keep your water on you need to give us an additional xxx.xx $ this month.

I would say emotionally and financially we recovered from that about three years ago. But I don't think I've ever felt the same about having a whole bunch of cash because after forking out everything to try to stay in the house I was at, I never had anything to fall back on should I need it.
( I just re read that out load, I feel like that is hoarder sounding!!!)

Despite selling off my Morgan's I worked my tail off this month.... Lower note my wife signed me up for a coupon class and I thought it was a joke. I saved $195 in groceries the last two times I've gone shopping. I feel like a pimp except I'm fat and old and using coupons!!!

Payed off all of my CC debt, (5400) I did list some of the Morgan's on my wife site no one made an offer though, I think if I see the money I will probably sell them. I also open my own business and this month has been amazing. Looking forward to the rest of the year! ( this post took me an hour as I'm watching SportsCenter for the first time in about three weeks) hope it makes sense and I know it's long!

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Economist are declaring - this Fall - Silver will be Gold on Steroids!

All the talk in the "Economic Circles" are predicting a financial collapse of the US Dollar, even giving the date of September 11th as a major Stock Market crash!

No amount of "Quantitative Easing" - Prediction of a QE4 - is going to save the dollar, this time.

Silver is currently below production costs and predictions with the current rush to buy may force Silver as high as $1000.00 per ounce.

I have been busy transferring my cash to silver and advise others to hold onto yours - at least until after this Fall.

Last edited:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been reading about the collapse of the Dollar, the destruction of the economy, the ruin of democracy, the end of CAPITALISM, since I was 13 years old (I was a pretty aware snot nose). Funny thing, 38 years later, we're still here.

All the talk in the "Economic Circles" are predicting a financial collapse of the US Dollar, even giving the date of September 11th as a major Stock Market crash!

No amount of "Quantitative Easing" - Prediction of a QE4 - is going to save the dollar, this time.

Silver is currently below production costs and predictions with the current rush to buy may force Silver as high as $1000.00 per ounce.

I have been busy transferring my cash to silver and advise others to hold onto yours - at least until after this Fall.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been reading about the collapse of the Dollar, the destruction of the economy, the ruin of democracy, the end of CAPITALISM, since I was 13 years old (I was a pretty aware snot nose). Funny thing, 38 years later, we're still here.

I suppose you slept through the 2001, 2008 stock market crashes,... probably a good idea to sleep in this next Friday also!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread