Lots of Uncirculated US Gold Coins * Great True Story * See Picture *

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old coin true story -
Back in the 1980's into the 2000's I owned a coin/pawn shop. I could tell you so many stories about things that were brought into the store that were amazing. I have (3) stories that really stand out in my memories, so here is the first one.
I had a man in his 80's come into the store with a red Folgers coffee can with a rag in it so you could not see what was in it. I asked him what he needed and he said he wanted to sell me some coins and to take a look. It was approx ½ full of silver dimes. I figured out a competitive price to pay for each one and he said OK and to count them up. I did, paid him and he was on his way.
Approx a month later he showed up again with the same coffee can with the rag in it. Same story but this time it was silver quarters. I paid him and away he went.
Approx a month later he showed up again with the same coffee can with the rag in it. Same story but this time it was silver dimes again. I paid him and away he went.
This went on for a few months, then one day he came in and I thought here we go again. He was always nice and polite and I always paid him a fair price. Same red coffee can, same rag.
But this time, oh my God — it was ½ full of old US Gold coins. There was a brand new roll of Saint Gaudens $20 Gold pieces and a brand new role of $20 Liberty Head Gold pieces. Plus many Gold Sovereigns, $5.00 US Gold coins and misc other US un-circulated $20.00 Gold pieces.
Needless to say that is the most US Gold coins that ever came into the store at one time. I helped him sell his Gold coin collection.
Happy customer — Happy coin dealer!
Gary from Oregon

The coins in the line on the left are BU $20 Saint Gaudens US Gold coins and the row on the right are BU Liberty Head $20 Gold coins... :) The coins on the right in the coin flips are high grade BU $20 Gold coins... An amazing day for sure :)

lots of old gold coins.jpg

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
If there is 1 important lesson I have learned over the years: To get the good stuff, you must develop relationships and earn people's trust.

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree... It has worked for me my whole life :)

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was testing your integrity and you passed. Congratulations on some beautiful coins.

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you won't mind me asking this: how much did you pay for all the gold coins? Great story! I wonder how he got all the coins!

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The picture doesn't show them all... They melted over $100,000 at that time...:)))

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never ask him where he got them. He probably didn't trust banks like so many that during the Depression.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread