Palladium ancient roman coin STRICTLY for the kingdoms. BC ERA (115-200). Talk aBOUT

Brianbarr88

Jun 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg
So, you've heard about old ancient roman coins right? Some silver. Some gold, some even platinum and palladium. Don't forget your classic rhodium )even tho it wasn't established as a precious metal until the 1800's, it still was used in ancient days in the BC era of our mother planet earth. So does such a coin exist? One that is to the fullest a one of a kind item?? No..
It can't be..
But wait, this is not gold. This is a ... A .... WHAT!?!
I have no idea. So help me out? Had it checked wasn't gold. But was informed it was made of a different precious metalb(it was extremely soft and heavy) the expert told me it is probably palladium used for the kingdoms rather than for the public. Public got brass and bronZe.
It exists, and it's money in the bank. Whatcha think?

OP
OP
B

Brianbarr88

Jun 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ID-ed the coin?
If not, can you post close up, sharp pics of each side.
Thanks,
Don.......

I have only gotten as far as ... Ancient roman coin, BC ERA. I've had three different ancient roman coin experts (who expertised in this type of coins for ALONG time) look at it and that's all I've come up with. One of my good friends is a big time and I mean huge coin collector. He has a 500,000 coin collection. He had his guy look at it for me and they can only find one other coin that's even like it online. He told me they could tell by the head of the coin and the neck line.
Probably the beard part or something anyway it separates it from the others that are made of bronze and brass. I had it tests for gold. Acid test, and it rubbed off MORE than easily onto the stone and quickly was dismissed as gold. But the metal in the coin is extremely soft way to soft for anything other than a precious metal. I hear palladium reacts the same as gold only different when using acid tests to distinguish the two. Maybe someone on here can help me if it? Thanks.

OP
OP
B

Brianbarr88

Jun 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here come the close ups.. I'll have them up in just a minute or two fellaS. Be patient.
It looks ally like gold in high lighting. Let me know if u guys want other photos on more lighting maybe I am using an iPhone six plus and it has Amazing photo and video taking capabilities

OP
OP
B

Brianbarr88

Jun 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg

Keep in mind with this specific photo here.. The head. And the neck line

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You mentioned: " He had his guy look at it for me and they can only find one other coin that's even like it online."
Question: What was the attrition 'his guy' give you of the only 'other coin that's even like it online"?
Don.........

OP
OP
B

Brianbarr88

Jun 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don. I asked and he hasn't gotten back to me. But he said he's only able to find one with the same front and back online.
Other than that there are a lot of similar ones but this specific one portrays one thing on the backside and one thing on the frontside that cannot be found online anywhere . I've put this up everywhere online and no one can give me a direct link to any info regarding it.z so I'm assuming it's really rare..

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Variant of Antoninus Pius, Billon Tetradrachm of Alexandria, Egypt. Dated Year 2. 138-139 - Billion is an alloy made of 60% copper and 40% silver. This would account for the softness and gold-like color. Don't assume it's rare just because someone cannot find an exact match on Google....get it to someone who specializes in ancient coins.

(Wikipedia) Billon coins from the Roman Empire, where progressive debasements of the Roman denarius and the Roman provincial tetradrachm in the 2nd century AD led to declining silver and increasing bronze content in these denominations of coins. Eventually, by the third quarter of the 2nd century AD, these coins were almost entirely bronze, with only a thin coating or even a wash of silver.

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Palladium was't discovered until 1803 as I stated in your other thread. Techniques for working with it in solid masses weren't perfected until the early 2000s. It isn't a palladium coin. I know you want it to be, but it isn't. Whoever told you that is wrong, and not well-informed. And it isn't rhodium either. And just to clarify, it also isn't platinum, iridium, osmium, or ruthenium, either, just in case he suggested the other platinum metal groups along with rhodium and palladium.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread