Help identifying a coin

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Anyone have any knowledge of what this coin is?

coin front.jpg coin back.jpg

OP
OP
Kapidr

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
What's the story? Dug or purchased? If purchased, what did seller tell you? What is the coin's diameter in mm?
Don.....

Hope this helps a little, tried my best. This coin was found. coin sized.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it based on the obverse. Can you cleanup and post a better photo of the reverse? That has the date and denomination as well as the French/Flemish version. If it's a 1954 French version, it's worth a bit of money.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kapidr

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
It looks like it based on the obverse. Can you cleanup and post a better photo of the reverse? That has the date and denomination as well as the French/Flemish version. If it's a 1954 French version, it's worth a bit of money.

Yes, working on cleaning it now :)

OP
OP
Kapidr

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:

cleaner front.jpg cleaner back.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the common one.....virtually worthless.....sorry.

OP
OP
Kapidr

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
That's the common one.....virtually worthless.....sorry.

Thanks, to me it's awesome because it traveled around the world and ended up lost at a beach near me :) Any suggestions on a faster or easier way to get that encrusted red off? Electrolysis with water doesn't seem to touch it, tumbling helps if it's long term tumbling.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that you've determined that it has no real numismatic value, I'd soak it in vinegar for a day or two and then rub it with baking soda. Rinse well under fresh water, dry and apply some olive oil or CoinCare to help arrest any further corrosion.

OP
OP
Kapidr

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Now that you've determined that it has no real numismatic value, I'd soak it in vinegar for a day or two and then rub it with baking soda. Rinse well under fresh water, dry and apply some olive oil or CoinCare to help arrest any further corrosion.

Thanks for the reply :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread