lamerror.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 125

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you get a closeup of the coin and if possible, another closeup of where the error is on the coin? As is, I can't tell if it is a De-lamination Error (Lamination that has separated from the surface of the coin), struck through a piece of Lamination from another coin that has long since separated from the surface of the coin or if it was struck through an unknown material (such as wood or cloth or other)!

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a delam to me.

I agree that from the pic, it appears to be a De-Lamination Error! However, while some De-Lamination Errors are rectangular, most often, they do not have almost perfectly squared corners and straight lines from where the Lamination separation occurred.

Frank

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote for a strike through. I've never seen a delam end squared off like that. The details in the suspect area sure are sharp still. Interesting!:laughing7:

OP
OP
Steeler Fan

Steeler Fan

Apr 3, 2005
I went back and looked at it again and it looks as if something was on the coin when it was struck. maybe a piece of tape. The coin still was fully struck except the part where the error is. The date and everything within the error area is legible, just blurry.

I am guessing this is only worth a slight premium.

Thanks for everyones input!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While without better pics or seeing the coin in person, I can't be certain to the error, I copied and pasted the pic to my' computer, blew the pic up and believe that the coin was "Struck Through" by a piece of de-lamination that separated from another coin. I state this because even though there are linear (orientated along the length of the error) striations in the struck through area that are consistent with the appearance of a lamination separation (de-lamination) error, the coin's surfaces inside the struck through area appear to be too smooth and hard to be a Lamination separation and the toning in the struck through area is the same as the rest of the coin (i.e. the area inside the struck through area is not rough with pieces of metal sticking out and/or up and/or overlapping and the toning is not different from the toning on the rest of the coin). This points to the offending piece (de-lamination piece from another coin) separating from the O.P.'s coin not long after the coin was minted/struck.

Frank

Last edited:

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an example of a de-lamination error that I found on eBay a year ago.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1443564413.789084.jpg

OP
OP
Steeler Fan

Steeler Fan

Apr 3, 2005
I did a little research online and it looks like it was struck with a piece of tape. I saw a pic of a coin with a similiar defect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread