1990 D Penny 013.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 111

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It appears that the coin was struck by a very stressed and possibly damaged Obverse Die. Also, there appears to be a lamination piece from another coin that was struck into the coin when it was minted.

Frank

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank, is it just me or does it look like part of the die broke off and actually shifted down towards the rim when the coin was struck?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank, is it just me or does it look like part of the die broke off and actually shifted down towards the rim when the coin was struck?

enamel, Although it would appear to be the case, that is not what happened! While I merely explained that the Die was severely stressed and/or damaged and although it is possible that it was a factor, I am sorry to say that I was wrong in my assessment of the coin! I believe Mike Diamond (with the help of others) recently wrote about the cause of beveling of the surface of coins just inside the rims that also causes weak and/or obliterated lettering or Date digits. The article highlighted "Vertically Misaligned Dies" as being the cause and from looking at the Obverse and Reverse of hogan's coin, it is apparent that the Dies were misaligned. Although it appears that both of the Dies were misaligned horizontally from each other, it is likely that one or both were misaligned vertically, thus causing not only the appearance of being horizontally misaligned but also causing the beveling on the coin and the weak and/or obliterated (smeared) lettering. While I found another article about the same and have posted the link to it below, it is not the article that I read and I will try to locate the article and post it here on the forum.

Vertical Misaligned Die Error (Tilted Die Error) : Mad Die Clashes

hogan, I am sorry for my previous assessment of your' coin which I must admit was done too quick and was wrong!

Frank

OP
OP
H

hogan36

Oct 15, 2013
memphis ,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you good Frank. I appreciate you guys responding too the post. I highly appreciate that there's guys like you all. Couldn't have been no one better. Thank you all again!:icon_thumleft:

enamel, Although it would appear to be the case, that is not what happened! While I merely explained that the Die was severely stressed and/or damaged and although it is possible that it was a factor, I am sorry to say that I was wrong in my assessment of the coin! I believe Mike Diamond (with the help of others) recently wrote about the cause of beveling of the surface of coins just inside the rims that also causes weak and/or obliterated lettering or Date digits. The article highlighted "Vertically Misaligned Dies" as being the cause and from looking at the Obverse and Reverse of hogan's coin, it is apparent that the Dies were misaligned. Although it appears that both of the Dies were misaligned horizontally from each other, it is likely that one or both were misaligned vertically, thus causing not only the appearance of being horizontally misaligned but also causing the beveling on the coin and the weak and/or obliterated (smeared) lettering. While I found another article about the same and have posted the link to it below, it is not the article that I read and I will try to locate the article and post it here on the forum.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
you good Frank. I appreciate you guys responding too the post. I highly appreciate that there's guys like you all. Couldn't have been no one better. Thank you all again!:icon_thumleft:

Thanks! I am just glad that enamel brought up the possibility of a broken Die which caused me to take a closer look! I sometimes get complacent in the viewing and my assessment of some coins and I need folks like enamel to keep me on my' toes.

Frank

OP
OP
H

hogan36

Oct 15, 2013
memphis ,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning Frank, I was doing a little research on that link that you posted. I read on some of topics on the link that you posted and it said that " radical MAD clashes are known among Lincoln cents from 1991 –2000 and some foreign coins (notably Spain and Canada). By mine being a 1990, would that make mine a rare coin? Here's a link to the website: Radical MAD Die Clash : Mad Die Clashes
Thanks! I am just glad that enamel brought up the possibility of a broken Die which caused me to take a closer look! I sometimes get complacent in the viewing and my assessment of some coins and I need folks like enamel to keep me on my' toes.

Frank

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Morning Frank, I was doing a little research on that link that you posted. I read on some of topics on the link that you posted and it said that " radical MAD clashes are known among Lincoln cents from 1991 –2000 and some foreign coins (notably Spain and Canada). By mine being a 1990, would that make mine a rare coin? Here's a link to the website: Radical MAD Die Clash : Mad Die Clashes

hogan... If your' 1990-P Lincoln Cent showed evidence of Die Clashing (which it does not), it would make it much more collectible and add a decent premium to the value. However, I don't believe that it would be considered rare even if it did have Radical MAD Die Clashing but I could be wrong as I have not kept abreast of prices for these types of Errored coins!

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions