Vermont
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Blisstool LTC64X v3,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
During the 80's my father and his parents picked up a 1800's Hammond Organ form an Auction. Supposedly the drawers hadn't been opened for quite a while. My dad was going through a song book he found in one of the drawers and low and behold a coin popped out.

It is a 1776 Continental Currency coin but what I don't know is if it is a replica or not and what the likelihood of it being real is.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally some pics. It looks great, I hope it does turn out to be real. That is a beauty for sure. Congrats! You going to get it appraised?

OP
OP
Bitdrop

Bitdrop

Nov 23, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Blisstool LTC64X v3,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally some pics. It looks great, I hope it does turn out to be real. That is a beauty for sure. Congrats! You going to get it appraised?

That depends on if people think it is real or not :)
And thanks!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately it is a cast replica. I suspect if you look at the edge you will see a casting seam.

OP
OP
Bitdrop

Bitdrop

Nov 23, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Blisstool LTC64X v3,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately it is a cast replica. I suspect if you look at the edge you will see a casting seam.

There actually isn't a seam

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you post some new pics and closeups of the coin taken in the natural light? Two different lighting situations shows us two different colors and we do not know which if either are correct! Also, some closeups of the edge of the coin would be great. We can try to determine if the coin is authentic but it will likely come down to the diameter and weight of the coin and assessment by an honest and professional Coin Dealer or a Third Party Grading Service such as PCGS, NGC, ICG or ANACS.

Frank

OP
OP
Bitdrop

Bitdrop

Nov 23, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Blisstool LTC64X v3,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you post some new pics and closeups of the coin taken in the natural light? Two different lighting situations shows us two different colors and we do not know which if either are correct! Also, some closeups of the edge of the coin would be great. We can try to determine if the coin is authentic but it will likely come down to the diameter and weight of the coin and assessment by an honest and professional Coin Dealer or a Third Party Grading Service such as PCGS, NGC, ICG or ANACS.

Frank

I will post some new pics tonight.

Thanks,
Sam

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a cast replica. The seam could be on the edges, but the lack of details and bubbly quality of the piece tend to sand casting. You could always submit it, and if you do, I hope I am wrong... I guess the final question is, "Do you want to listen to the thoughts of the people here, who may be more expert, but do not have access to the actual coin, and are working from a picture of questionable quality?"

In the end, if you REALLY don't know, my thoughts would depend on how well you trust your local coin store. If you do, take it in and get an opinion. If you are in a major city, there are coin shows all the time in major cities. Take it to one. If you get offers from the dealers, you will know it is likely real. If they tell you it is fake and are not willing to make an offer, then it is fake. The ANACS or PNG are often at major shows. They will give an unofficial opinion.

S

stefen

This same coin has surfaced on TN several times since I have been a member, and each time the coin is faux.

There are any number of collectors and experts on most topics that roam the halls of TN.

When a member offers a coin or any object for and opinion or identification, its not prudent to argue with the commenters, but to comply with their recommendations.

Its nice to see that you are working with the viewers to bring a resolution for the coin.

Dejapooh stated that one way to determine if the coin is real is that dealers may make an offer.

Another way to gauge its worth is that the word "BANNER" is bandied about.

In the absence of an outcry for a Banner Find, my WAG is that you have a coin that will remain a personal and family collectible and conversation piece for years to come.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bitdrop: There are many grading service companies that not only will they grade coins, but will tell the owners if the coins are real or not. If this coin is real, it is worth a small fortune, and should be sold in a coin auction. Look in coins magazines for names. Good luck.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
IMHO, the verdict is still out on Bitdrop's coin! It is highly likely that it is a fake and even though the Reverse appears to have been cast, the Obverse details and lettering are sharper and appear more towards having been struck. I will hold out for the new pics, the diameter and weight and reassess the coin and my opinion on it. If I do not post for awhile, don't fret as I have been very busy lately trying to get some funds together for Christmas by selling some of my' stuff off and shuttling vehicles for a local Ford Dealership.

Frank

OP
OP
Bitdrop

Bitdrop

Nov 23, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Blisstool LTC64X v3,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New pics! Weighed it and it weighs 28.3 grams, and it's diameter 35.56 mm

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, that is way overweight for a genuine coin. This is one of the most copied coins, and as many of them were made before law mandated marking them as copies there are a lot of unmarked ones out there.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, that is way overweight for a genuine coin. This is one of the most copied coins, and as many of them were made before law mandated marking them as copies there are a lot of unmarked ones out there.

I have to agree that the coin is likely a "Copy" that has had the word removed or is a counterfeit! The coin is not only overweight, it is also undersized as the normal weight and size of genuine Pewter specimens is 17.92 grams and 40.6 mm in diameter. I can't seem to find the diameters for the known Brass and Silver specimens and I do not own the reference book, "The 1776 Continental Currency Coinage" by Eric P. Newman which was published in 1952, but I would imagine that they are the same diameter as the Pewter specimens but weigh much more. The subject coin here does not appear to be Brass or Silver and given it's weight and diameter, it is definitely not Pewter or should I say, not entirely Pewter. The coin is more than likely Pewter on the outside over a Lead core.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread