mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has been quite a while since I posted finding some of these coins but was hoping somebody on here might be able to help determine whether or not this coin is truly a silver hammered coin. I found this coin metal detecting but that does not necessarily mean the coin is legit. But I will say that when I found the coin, just adding a little bit of water cleaned it up real nice without any rubbing. From my little bit of experience that tells me the coin is truly silver, or at least partially silver. But then after looking closely at the coin it shows areas where it seems almost as though it is flaking off. Not sure if that is normal or not. Possibly because it is not 100% silver? :dontknow:

I'm no expert at these types of coins so I was hoping somebody on here may be able to help determine whether or not it is the real deal. Appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Attachments

• Side 1.jpg
    Side 1.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Side 2.jpg
    Side 2.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 155

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While it is very hard to sometimes impossible to determine a genuine or fake coin from pics, based on the appearance and your description, I am going with fake on your' find! IMHO, the coin could have been made with Dies produced from an original coin or a copy but it is likely Lead and possibly Pewter composition that was dipped in Silver after the fake coin was struck.

Frank

jan nielsen

Dec 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No doubt, this coin is fake. The silver content in a gross tournois is very high, i found one last year and it doesn't flake.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More than likely a counterfeit, more interesting.:thumbsup:

SS

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug up a .50 cent Benjamin Franklin cookie coin (encased in sand) and the silver was flaking off in places when I was cleaning it.
Just depends on the soil and or water condition. Could be real.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mindcrime1988

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Closeup

Appreciate all of the responses. I personally think the coin is fake too but wanted to see what everybody thought. Plus I should say that instead of the coin flaking, it looks more like it is worn or tarnished. But that is the part which is confusing to me because the coin cleaned up very easily by just adding water which tells me silver. I included another close up for any more thoughts.

Attachments

• Up close.jpg
    Up close.jpg
    570.5 KB · Views: 155

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions