Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A question for those who are far more knowledgeable.................
This may have been covered at some point in the past, but do all die cracks begin at the rim and work in to the body of the coin?
I've found a couple of coins with what appear to be cracks in the body of the coin that do not migrate to the rim. They are not scratches or gouges, they look too irregular..............
Thanks for any and all info..............

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The simple answer is, no! Although the Dies are more prone to (Die) Cracks starting along the edge or rim area, they can suffer cracks most anywhere on them and especially so, areas of high stress. Evidence of this all too often seen on the lower left and center of the neck of Washington's bust on the Washington Quarters. Coin Series go through minor but sometimes major design changes on the Dies from time to time to eliminate the stress points to prevent premature Die failure. Also, if the metal rods used to make the Dies are not properly formed (i.e. metal compositions not mixed properly or air bubbles develop in the metal) or properly annealed, premature Die failure can occur.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Frank........
Since completing the majority of my collection and the grandkids', I've been concentrating on error and variety coins from pocket change. The sheer number of them is surprising and have decided on keeping the best/worst. Our local expert has been looking at some of my examples once each moth at the coin club meetings and usually has good info. The internet supplies mostly generic descriptions of errors and varieties but I need more definitive information. Can you suggest any reading material?
I'll try to take some pics tonight and post them for your appraisal, if you wouldn't mind looking them over.............

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you, Frank........
Since completing the majority of my collection and the grandkids', I've been concentrating on error and variety coins from pocket change. The sheer number of them is surprising and have decided on keeping the best/worst. Our local expert has been looking at some of my examples once each moth at the coin club meetings and usually has good info. The internet supplies mostly generic descriptions of errors and varieties but I need more definitive information. Can you suggest any reading material?
I'll try to take some pics tonight and post them for your appraisal, if you wouldn't mind looking them over.............

Chizzy... You are more than welcome and yes, I will look at the pics of the other coins and give you the best assessment I can! Hopefully others will chime in with their opinions as well because while I do my best to analyze coins and especially error coins, I am by no means an expert. Below, I have included a few links for you to start out with for reference.

CONECA

http://conecaonline.org/content/ErrorChecklist.pdf

Error Coin Price Guide with Mint Error Photo Descriptions | Coin News

Error Coin Examples : Jim's Coins and Stamps

https://coins.thefuntimesguide.com/2008/09/error_coins-2.php

Mad Die Clashes

http://coinsite.com/us-mint-error-coins/

http://coinsite.com/us-error-coin-values/

minterrornews.com - Error Coin Price Guide

http://www.fredweinberg.com/

Good luck!

Frank

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow........didn't realize it was December when this thread was active!! Time sure flies.........

Thanks, once again, Frank. Most of those sites are new to me. I've been using varietyvista (CONECA), kenpotter and lincolncentresource for most information about cents.
Sorry about the pics.......the ones I took did not show the crack distinctly enough to post. I've done considerable searching since this thread began and have been rejecting many of the small cracks that are to the right and left of the bottom step of the Memorial unless they migrate farther into the steps. The ones that are at the top right and top left of the Memorial are more to my liking. I've also discovered several with doubling on the right or left of the Memorial building.....some are quite pronounced. And, one of them (1981 with left wing and bottom step doubling) is not on the CONECA master list. Our CONECA representative from the local coin club suggested I send it off to Potter or Diamond for further study and authentication..........
Any other suggestions from you would be appreciated. Also, would it worth the $25 to join CONECA?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread