43 KB · Views: 591
Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of silver copied quarters. They all have copy stamped in their head. I too am interested in what they are made of. I would guess if they are not silver they are kids play money.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I don't see any stamping of silver fineness on them, if not silver pretty much worthless. If they are silver, then worth their weight in silver.

OP
OP
P

padlock

Mar 28, 2010
Ann Arbor MI
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
The edge is stamped with .999. I bought them will get better photos when I get them in my hand

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
27 mg actual silver content ???

There's a thousand of them in a gram.

Basically worthless. I hope you didn't break the bank purchasing these. I'm sorry, they aren't even worth a quarter....

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, it looks like they are only plated, pretty much worthless unfortunately.

OP
OP
P

padlock

Mar 28, 2010
Ann Arbor MI
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Tested at the coin shop. Tested as silver.

Here are the photos.

Attachments

• 999 copy.jpg
    999 copy.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 350
  • 999 copt1.jpg
    999 copt1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 275

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outside Tested as silver or did you nic one and core test it?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
A few items that would have made this thread a bit more informative. The fact that the edges were marked ".999 FINE SILVER" should have been stated earlier in the thread. Why? Many plated "collector" items are marked ".999" or "999" describing only the plating. Leaving out the words "FINE SILVER" when describing the edge left several members leaning in the direction of plated copies. Please describe your finds as accurately as possible to get an accurate evaluation earlier in the thread.

Related to this is the delay of images clearly showing the edge lettering. While it is not always possible to immediately have clear images showing all detail of your finds, they certainly help.

While providing accurate descriptions and images do not guaranty accurate identification by members, doing so certainly helps.

The other point that made a few members default to cheap fake had nothing to do with your description, but rather modern regulations requiring copies to be clearly marked as such. Seeing the word "copy" on the face of the coin before seeing the ".999 Fine Silver" on the edge, leans me toward the opinion of cheap plated junk.

These silver "Quarters" would have been far more appealing had the word "copy" been on the edge, and not on the face.

Your find here is very inspiring to look at. Could you give a bit more detail on how it was offered to you, and whether the asking price was a bargain. Also looking forward to your next find. This one looks to be a winner. Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread