Museum Coins

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw some great coins at the Smithsonian today.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451247918.568211.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451247935.473806.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool and those two Rarities sure are pretty! I wonder if the folks there clean them??!!

Did you happen to see the largest Aquamarine specimen from North America? The 25+/- pound crystal beauty was found by a gentleman that I knew while he was working at the Ray Mica Mine outside of Burnsville, NC. Sadly, he sold it for a couple of bottles of booze and a $20 dollar bill. The gentleman passed on some time ago and even worse is the fact that although we had many conversations when I traveled there to prospect for Aquamarine, I can no longer remember his name! I do remember the Mine shaft/hole he told me that the crystal came from but the NFS (yep, the Mine is now in a National Forest) has changed the rules for collecting there and I am not sure as to whether prospecting is allowed near the shaft/hole.

Frank

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw those same coins there last year. I got yelled at for taking photos, haha. Great looking coins.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Very neat coins and your photos are very well done too ! When my wife and I visited the Numismatic Gallery and saw the coin exhibits the first thing I wanted to see was the mint state 1793 Chain Cent. It is a great coin, but in my opinion needs brushing, so I don't think they do any cleaning or anything like that to the coins after they are displayed. The Eli Lilly gold collection is fabulous to say the least. It was all good! I want to go back sometime soon.
The 1933 Double Eagle is a more recent display, and I want to ask you what you thought the three clips are made of that hold the coin in place. They look like metal of some sort? I can see the 1913 Nickle is being held by large clear plastic clips, and I wonder why they didn't use an inert material on the gold coin. The Smithsonian is an amazing place ! Thank you for sharing,
Phil

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It definitely appears to be a darker metal, probably bronze or brass or copper, so the clips don't stand out as much and make you focus more on the coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions