Did I overpay or get a good deal - 1943 Pennys

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Estate Find, Lot Of 35 Uncirculated 1943 Steel Pennies, Nice Condition!

It seemed like a good deal so I pulled the trigger and bought them. If they are good looking in person as they are in the picture, I think I did OK

Steel cents are not something I'm comfortable buying on eBay because to me, it's more difficult to tell condition on them than copper cents are.

There are also several things that can be done to them to deceive others. There are 'reprocessed' steel cents that have been stripped of the original zinc coating and replated, which is not the same as an original uncirculated coin and has little to no numismatic value. Also, I found that if they look rusty or nasty, they can be cleaned and polished up fairly well with Lime-Away or CLR, which results in a pretty clean coin, but it's also been cleaned with something and could be passed along as "uncirculated" to someone who didn't know better.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I don't know if you made a good deal or not, and if you are happy with what you paid, then you made a good deal regardless of what anyone else here tells you.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have lots of rolls of these steel cents but none that I would consider BU. I haven't really seen one without some kind of blemish somewhere. I hope its a complete roll.

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
If they are in MS-60 or better as they appear to be looing at the pic on the auction, was it a good deal?

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they would be sent to a grader and came back MS-60 or better you may be able to get about $1 a piece or better depending on mint mark. And if by chance they are the 1943 D boldly doubled mint mark then you made bank.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread