"S" Wheat Penny

Apocalyptica

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2016
Down in Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys! I just joined the other day (although this isn't my first post) and posted a question about an arrowhead. Today I want to find some information anyone has on the San Fransciso Mint Wheat Penny I received as change. I already know it was minted in San Franscico, but what other interesting facts that y'all may know that I am unaware of?

One day I had looked up the coin and it appears that in perfect condition, the coin could run for $14.

Year: 1949
image.jpg image.jpg

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Circulation Mintage of 64,290,000

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In "perfect" condition (MS70), it would be worth a lot more than that. Even brand new uncirculated coins (which yours is not) have different grades and values. From just a cursory look at the photo, yours appears to be XF at best.....more likely VF at close inspection. Still, a nice change find! :thumbsup:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
The value of a coin is based on its supply and demand. Supply is effected by the number made, the number used, the number destroyed (melted, thrown in a lake, etc.). Demand is effected by the number of collectors for that particular area. More collectors, greater demand. The 1949s has a huge number created, a fairly low destruction ratio (Some coins were destroyed officially, for example, all U.S. gold coins were destroyed in 1933. The numbers left were low), More collectors collect Morgan Silver Dollars than anything else. More Morgan dollars were made, most made were saved, and were never used. The second most collected coin is the Lincoln cent. Throw all of that together and you will find that the current supply of 1949s cents exceeds the supply. If you were to try to sell that coin, you would receive almost nothing for it (I'm sorry to say). It has no intrinsic value (no silver or gold). It is a nice find for a pocket pick, but you will not be retiring soon... :)

OP
OP
A

Apocalyptica

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2016
Down in Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input guys! I wasn't looking to sell it (if it did have value I probably still wouldn't), just information. I would agree that it has been through some hands over the years though.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A U S coin red book might give you more San Fran mint info. It use to be the ONLY mint that produced PROOF SETS, now several places make them.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys! I just joined the other day (although this isn't my first post) and posted a question about an arrowhead. Today I want to find some information anyone has on the San Fransciso Mint Wheat Penny I received as change. I already know it was minted in San Franscico, but what other interesting facts that may know that I am unaware of?

One day I had looked up the coin and it appears that in perfect condition, the coin could run for $14.

Year: 1949
View attachment 1268727 View attachment 1268729

What the heck kind of information are you looking for? You know it was made in 1949 and in San Francisco. Besides the mintage there is really nothing else to know.

Abraham Lincoln's head is on the obverse. Two wheat stalks on the reverse. It's made of 95% copper. I know I'm being kind of a jerk. I just don't understand what information you are looking for.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the copper in it is worth 2 cents, so that is 100% return

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to his/her profile they are a Jr. in High School. Some of you people are basically saying... Go away kid you bother me.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to his/her profile they are a Jr. in High School. Some of you people are basically saying... Go away kid you bother me.

OR we are trying to figure out what type of information he wants to know?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A U S coin red book might give you more San Fran mint info. It use to be the ONLY mint that produced PROOF SETS, now several places make them.

"RED BOOK" would give you a general understanding of how to grade each coin ( from About-Good all the way to AU/BU/PROOF), at least you would have an idea of all future coins you find.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to T-Net!

Congrats on your first Wheat cent. Always feel free to ask questions here.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome aboard TNet! Good Luck finding more old stuff!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread