enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a magnet will stick to them, they've been plated, if the magnet doesn't stick, they're fantasy copies. Maybe there is something out there that will remove the plating and not damage the steel surface underneath? Maybe a chemist out there knows something.

A magnet will stick to them regardless. They are steel cents.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, not fakes, not copper plated, just plain old reprocessed steel cents.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP if they are plated welcome to the learning club. You are not first nor will you be the last to buy something that isn't.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP if they are plated welcome to the learning club. You are not first nor will you be the last to buy something that isn't.

I think the OP is pouting off in the corner somewhere. I think he posted thinking he scored something awesome only to have e his bubble bursted. Now he wonot comment anymore after his little temper tantrum

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never waste my time with buying "mint" steel cents on EBay, unless of course they are graded by either PCGS or NGC. The highest known grade for a steel cent is MS-68, and it wasn't even that shiny.

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had coins that I thought were pretty awesome but we're only worth little to nothing. Even with that I never had a temper tantrum. Technically, there should be no reason for him to have a temper tantrum, especially since he said they were "cheap."

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:pain10::boxing:
that-escalated-quickly-will-ferrell.jpg

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you edited your response. There was no need for that. People were just giving you there opinions about them. That's why you posted. It just turns out you bought really nice replated steel cents. I hope you didn't pay to much for them. If you did then use it as another ebay learning experience.

I'm sure my comment is one of the ones that set him off, because he got steamed and demanded a refund for buying an "unsearched" roll of wheat pennies which he opened and found were definitely searched.

I think instead of searching here or doing the research, he's being headstrong but is reluctant to face the consequences.

It's called "buyer beware" but it may take a while to sink in.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to take the OP silence as a sign his "cheap" ebay purchase was more of a not so cheap mistake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread