how much to complete a Morgan collection?

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently inherited an 1893-S Morgan dollar. It graded a PCGS VG-10. I am wondering about completing a Morgan dollar collection since I already have one of the high dollar coins. I wouldnt be looking for high graded examples, just decent looking coins and would want any key dates graded or at least certified and encapsulated to make sure they were authentic. I probably already have around 10 of the common date Morgans.

I completed a Mercury dime and silver Roosevelt dime collection a few years ago and have been thinking of attempting a barber dime collection.

Has anyone completed or attempted a Morgan dollar series? Do you think attempting the series since I already have the 1893-s would be a good idea? Thanks.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for it! As for how many have completed the set, I would have to believe many have.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
The PCGS coin values site for Morgan Dollars starts at about 10K for a G4 date and mint set to 3 Mil for highest grades. These prices are for slabbed by PCGS coins. Your '93-S is worth a goodly amount on its own. :D
Silver dollars of any type or condition aren't cheap anymore, but they seem to be a good investment. With our upcoming Presidential election metal prices are on the rise again. Buy what you like, and what you can afford as a general rule. There are some interesting and pricey varieties in the series to look out for too. Good Luck !

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
As an investment item, I have a partial collection going - 27 different dates/mint marks.

I personally believe that a set of dates & mint marks is much more valuable than say 27 Morgans thrown together.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Only you can decide if it's a 'good idea' to attempt to collect the full collection; and that depends on your goal. If you wish only to collect a sample of each variety in "decent looking" shape; then go for it. If you wish to collect a sample of each variety for investment purposes, then, IMO, collect only those of the highest quality that you can afford.
Don....

OP
OP
nathan104

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt be looking for high grade coins. I think Im going to start collecting the common date cheaper coins for now and see how I do with them. Once I get a good hold on them Im going to take a look at if Im able to complete the set or not.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its a great way to collect also you always have the value in silver plus the coin value also good investment I don't see coin prices dropping really ever they stay the same or go up,so it seems you don't have anything to lose.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its a great way to collect also you always have the value in silver plus the coin value also good investment I don't see coin prices dropping really ever they stay the same or go up,so it seems you don't have anything to lose.

I don't know about the value in silver. Morgans usually have a pretty high premium on them, but they do seem to hold their premium well. :cat:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a complete set of "CC" Morgan Dollars, ( yes even the 1889 ) & VAM varieties included. It took me 15 yrs. to complete this set, but was well worth the time as a collector. Everyone has to decide for themselves what is best to collect. My metal detecting partner is actually working on his 3rd set of Walking Liberty Half Dollars. He just loves the Walking Libs. If it were myself, I would have put together one set & then moved on to another series.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Completing a full Morgan collection would be a lifetime challenge. Go for it. As yet I don't even have a complete Lincoln or Merc sets. However, I have never BOUGHT any of the set pieces, strictly found hunting in the wild for me. It's the thrill of the HUNT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread