OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
O.k. then on to the next. Mint mark is almost touching the date, and I did compare with several other same year same mint mark and none were even close to being like this. The "P" almost looks larger.
20160217_112349.jpg

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spend it. Mint marks at one time were punched into the die. This is well in normal specs.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Walls of Monticello look smashed or melted. Assuming another example of a well worn coin?
20160217_165949.jpg

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.k. here's the next one in question. I call this error "rim squished wheat", almost looks like there's writing on the squished part of the rim.
I did not take these photos sideways, might have to turn your head.

View attachment 1273850 View attachment 1273849

Walls of Monticello look smashed or melted. Assuming another example of a well worn coin?
View attachment 1274175

Keep them coming. I learned something new about mint marks in your previous picture. I think your right about the back of this nickel. Just a worn out nickel.

So far the only cool errors I have found are a blank planchet nickel, a clipped planchet nickel, and 2 wide AM 1998 Lincolns.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Both wear and damage. Possible high heat environment.

Keep at it. Find a few guides on errors. Print out large images of common errors. I have printed over 100 examples of repunched mint marks that I keep handy to help me when I think I have found something. Also have several dozen images printed in large formats depicting many types of errors. These images, which I keep accessible in binders in my hobby room are very important in helping me determine whether I have a genuine error or post mint damage.

Doing this helps me a lot, but I do still make mistakes, which is why I have qualified professionals to take anything to that I may be unsure of.

Time for coffee.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the red book and cherry pickers guide(both for all denominations of coins), I just don't trust my own judgement on them. I will post another one here in a few minutes, this one is really weird and I am assuming someone who was really bored did it.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep them coming. I learned something new about mint marks in your previous picture. I think your right about the back of this nickel. Just a worn out nickel.

So far the only cool errors I have found are a blank planchet nickel, a clipped planchet nickel, and 2 wide AM 1998 Lincolns.

The wide am reverse cents aren't errors. They're varieties. Two totally different things.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wide am reverse cents aren't errors. They're varieties. Two totally different things.

What's the difference between an error and a variety. I always thought they used the wrong reverse plate in the wide AM's so it was an error. But I don't know much about error a or varieties.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since a reverse proof die was used and the difference in the coin minted wasn't due to the strike or damage to the coin or die, it is a variety. It also is known as a type II reverse. Errors happen when there is a defect in the die or coin.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since a reverse proof die was used and the difference in the coin minted wasn't due to the strike or damage to the coin or die, it is a variety. It also is known as a type II reverse. Errors happen when there is a defect in the die or coin.

Thanks

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The cents are just damage. The quarter at one time was in a tumbler with some cents and the copper transferred to it.

enamel may be correct on what happened to the 1973 Quarter. However, it has the appearance of having been in a fire which would result in bringing the Copper portion of the composition of the Quarter to the surface.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions