Coins Everywhere!

Golightly

Greenie
Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently found a honey hole and have unearthed 40+ coins from all over the world. All before 1898. Oldest was a 1793 Silver Dollar. Question being, how do I or should I clean the coins? The copper and bronze coins have a thick green tarnish layer. Will come off with a finger nail. I just don't want to devalue them, but some of them you can't even tell what they are.

OP
OP
G

Golightly

Greenie
Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_4330.JPG IMG_4329.JPG IMG_4327.JPG

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First you need to be more discrete or someone will find your honey hole. Second, dont clean your coins, let the buyer do that if you intend to sell. Third now the coins are out of the ground, protect and secure the coins, some may be worth a lot of money. Good job

OP
OP
G

Golightly

Greenie
Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't plan on selling so I want to get off the dirt and grime to see what I even have. The silver stuff cleans up easy. IMG_4449.JPG I haven't told a soul where I go and never will :).

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins can be cleaned but it must be done properly. If you are not sure it is best not to do it yourself, it is easy to drastically reduce the value by improper cleaning. Never rub the dirt off, this will scratch the coin, a rinse in water and then pat dry, do not rub.

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if they are circulated coins the best way is to take a pocket full of like coins and just keep them in your pocket for a month. Mine always come out great and they dont get dinged in value for "cleaning"

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm ready to see the 1793 silver dollar

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More pics of everything please!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mexico: Maximiliano (Emperor) 1 peso coin; 37 mm diameter; silver, .9027 fine and either minted in Mexico City, San Luis Potosi or Guanajuato based on the reverse side mint mark (small o over large M; Pi, or Go.) Minted in Guanajuato and San Luis Potosi (1866); and in MC during 1866 and 1867.
A lot of history goes with that coin.
Don.....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The 'radiant Liberty Cap' appears to be an 8R, minted in San Luis Potosi ('Pi'), assayer 'MR'; and minted in either 1892 or 1893 (the later, of greater value with about 1/3 the mintage); 39 mm diameter; silver .90278 pure.
Don.....

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, what are we thinking here, some kid grabbed his dad's coin collection or maybe a stash from a robbery?

OP
OP
G

Golightly

Greenie
Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, what are we thinking here, some kid grabbed his dad's coin collection or maybe a stash from a robbery?

The coins were scattered as if they fell. 20'x15' area. My guess was kids or possible fire because there was scattered coal. The mansion was built back in the 1920s and was a farm before that.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
So if they are circulated coins the best way is to take a pocket full of like coins and just keep them in your pocket for a month. Mine always come out great and they dont get dinged in value for "cleaning"

Do not do this... You will lower the value of the coins.

soak in warm, soapy water. Rinse with cold fresh water. Repeat. Pat dry with a soft cloth (do not rub). Leave out to air dry. You will not get all of the crud off of it, but the crud is part of the history of the coin. Do not ruin their history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread