All Metal Detecting Found Indian Head Pennies

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Only problem you have now is the brightly POLISHED coins that I see in the folder. I'm sure you did NOT dig them up that way, now they can only be used as a filler in empty holes. Nice collection none the less. That's more IH than I found CRH'g.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Thank you I respect that you believe that but yes I found all of them while metal detecting. Thanks for the comment happy hunting!

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you I respect that you believe that but yes I found all of them while metal detecting. Thanks for the comment happy hunting!

Did you clean them at all? If so how did you clean them?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Numismatists do not clean their coins, it destroys value. Do a search here on proper methods to restore coins. When I was a much younger fellow I purchased a beautiful IH, just beautiful. I took it to a coin show, and got really PO'd because the first thing the dealer said was that it was cleaned and virtually worthless. I'd paid $100 for it.

So, I sent it in to ANACS, which in the very late 70's was a premier grading service. It was returned slabbed and prominently labeled "CLEANED".

Thus, being rather ignorant, I'd been taken.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If so how did you clean them?

I'm guessing probably soaking it in a salt/vinegar mix then rubbing it with a pencil eraser. That or using a polish of some kind.

I used to clean some of my worthless wheats by doing that, but I don't do that much any more unless it's something that's really junk or if it's just so toasted I can't see a date on it.

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well as many here may already know most (non silver or gold) dug coins are listed as environmentally damaged anyway. HH.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
It's been about a year since I found most of these so it could of just looked cleaner over time.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been about a year since I found most of these so it could of just looked cleaner over time.

How did you clean them? Not saying you did anything wrong just curious how you got some of them looking so nice. No way they came out of the ground looking like that.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice ! Now find that '09-S :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing probably soaking it in a salt/vinegar mix then rubbing it with a pencil eraser. That or using a polish of some kind.

I used to clean some of my worthless wheats by doing that, but I don't do that much any more unless it's something that's really junk or if it's just so toasted I can't see a date on it.

if I can't get a Date, I'll use the pencil eraser trick on small copper, like Flying eagles, indians & Wheats.
(doesn't seem to work too well on Large Cents) as donj says they are already considered environmental damaged.
and in all honesty, a dug 1877 indian and a dug 1907 indian without dates are both worth 2 cents
maybe a quarter on a good day
to kid who wants to own an indian penny & nothing to a dealer.
but an environmentally damaged
1877 indian is worth a few bucks to a Dealer & allot more to someone who needs to fill that last spot in their indian head collection.

add to that do you really want to pay a Professional to clean a no date indian then find out your paying $100.00 for an environmentally damaged
1907 ?

imo better to know what I have the day I dig it.
Even better to know what I have, Before I even back fill the hole I dug it out of
:laughing7:

yes I use My Fingernail, Spit, My Shirt, jeans & Thumb on the spot,on every coin I dig
while still on my knees at the hole. & never regretted it .
I'm gonna know if there is a D on that 1916 Merc before I stand up
if at all physically possible :laughing7:

Last edited:

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is proper and improper cleaning right? Can anyone suggest proper cleaning for large cents? Got a bunch of dark ones I'd like to clean up.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is proper and improper cleaning right? Can anyone suggest proper cleaning for large cents? Got a bunch of dark ones I'd like to clean up.

If you have a date , I'd suggest you don't clean at all.
The aged Tone is like Aged wine.

If you don't have a Date, whatever is suggested, I'd stick to the date area only.

& if you can see the Face & it's facing right , I'd be extra Careful & look at the edge

If you see edge writing, or flowing hair although this looks heavily cleaned

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1793-S-2-R-...cb7d9&pid=100338&rk=12&rkt=18&sd=121852367024

Then consider Professional Help

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread