Error Pennie ?

Mattmineral

Jun 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this after buying something from the store. Has anyone seen something like this? Any idea of value.one side is bumby on only part and on the other side it over laps. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457898764.291838.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457898802.423939.jpg

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's damage, but don't ask me how. I don't see anything in the process of minting that would cause this.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably lyrics got smashed or squeezed with something that had that pattern. PMD

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did drop a roll of Wheaties and it landed on its end. Many of the coins in that roll ended up with similar marks.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll learn quickly that most of the odd looking coins you find won't be worth more than face value.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's damage, but don't ask me how. I don't see anything in the process of minting that would cause this.

I had a thought!:laughing7: Does anyone know how the old vending machines work? Could this have been caused by a penny trying to be turned in a dime slot? Or a machine that takes dimes? It didn't get a full turn, just a try!:dontknow:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a thought!:laughing7: Does anyone know how the old vending machines work? Could this have been caused by a penny trying to be turned in a dime slot? Or a machine that takes dimes? It didn't get a full turn, just a try!:dontknow:

No. The reeding wouldn't matter. Kids used to rub the edges on the sidewalk or street to make them the same size of a dime.

OP
OP
M

Mattmineral

Jun 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found out it was a broad strike and is worth about 8 bucks but thanks anyways guys

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest send an email to Mike Diamond. He is a real coin expert and may be willing to look at it. Also go to Lincoln cent forum and post it. BJ Neff and other experts are there and will give you a better answer than someone at a coin show. It might end up being a broadstrike but it doesn't look that way to me.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have sold it to that sucker at the coin show for 8 bucks.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't really look broadstruck to me at all. It looks to me like it was smashed into a Canadian cent. The bottom edge reminds me of a Canadian cent edge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions