5 cent note!

Mattmineral

Jun 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today thought I would share it with u guys ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459029917.791737.jpg

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it when I see other people than myself interested in fractional currency! I have the 2-cent from that year. Nice find!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
coinsareawesome,
You wrote: I love it when I see other people than myself interested in fractional currency! I have the 2-cent from that year. Nice find!
I'm unaware of any 2 cent fractional currency. Can you post yours?
I believe only the 3 cent fractional exists in less than 5 cent size.
Don......

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Your note is part of the First Issue of Fractional Currency, more accurately called Postal Currency (note the title of the bill). This issue's notes were issued in only 1862 and 1863; to be replaced with the Second Issue--some say because of the large amount of counterfeiting of the First Issue. Your note is 'historic' in that it represents a chapter in American currency when precious metals were hoarded; and in the midst of our Civil War.
The 5 cent note came in four 'flavors'. Perforated sides (like a postage stamp) or not; and monogrammed on the reverse; or not. Yours is not perforated and no pic has been posted of the reverse to see if the monogram is present. A few years ago, the value of this note (in F-12 condition) was between $40 (with 'ABNCo' monogram on the reverse) to $60 without the monogram. Thanks for the post.
Don......

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Your note once looked like this (disregarding the numbers written on the reverse); but in that same area may be script monogram initials, or not.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_currency_(United_States)#/media/File:US-Fractional_(1st_Issue)-$0.05-Fr.1231.jpg
Don....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mattmineral,
These notes were printed by two bank note companies, the American Bank Note Company printed the back side and the National Bank Note Company printed the front. It is thought that when the National Bank Note Company printed both the front and the back, the monogram of the American Bank Note Company was removed from the back. The monogram means exactly: The American Bank Note Company.
Don.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread