Is this a misprint

seabud

Dec 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this silver eagle in the mail today and I noticed in the word United the letter D has two dents or lines in it , it is graded PCSG MS70 . I emailed them and they said it is a Mint error and Grading the coin has nothing to do with the error . I hope you guys can see what I'm talking about in the pics. Thanks

Attachments

• eagle 003_crop.jpg
    eagle 003_crop.jpg
    612.9 KB · Views: 201
  • eagle 007.JPG
    eagle 007.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 188

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the coin just took a minor hit.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting, I think anyone here would normally call that PMD. Coin collecting is crazy!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I can clearly see the lines. No idea what it is considered though.

Maybe graded SS for Slightly Scratched?

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it was hit by something. Someone missed it?

OP
OP
S

seabud

Dec 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry it's PCGS , what got me was i thought MS70 was flawless but they say they stand by their grade I guess it is what it is .

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as it has their name on it they should stand behind the grade. And yes those pics are great

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there was something flawed in the die, there should be others out there. Hold on to it and wait to see. It might turn into a valuable variety.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I say it is a one time hit by another coin, but yet PERFECT condition. If mint error, there should be more reported by now. Nice.

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Was it graded by PCSG or PCGS?

It's for reasons like this that I rarely even click on the Coins Forum anymore.......did you really need to ask that question?......you couldn't figure out it was a typo?......and the same thing in the post above this pissing on someone's 1954 nickel find........he was happy about it and just wanted to share his excitement with others, you, on the other hand, felt the need to tell him it wasn't exciting at all......... just typing garbage just to type something.....

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's for reasons like this that I rarely even click on the Coins Forum anymore.......did you really need to ask that question?......you couldn't figure out it was a typo?......and the same thing in the post above this pissing on someone's 1954 nickel find........he was happy about it and just wanted to share his excitement with others, you, on the other hand, felt the need to tell him it wasn't exciting at all......... just typing garbage just to type something.....

He was just trying to point out to the OP that he made a minor misprint. Nothing major. Just a little kind advice. And 1954 nickel, he was just trying to tell the OP of that post that, truthfully, 1954 nickels are not that rare. He wasn't trying to burst the OP's bubble; he just wanted to give the OP some advice about coins, in case he came across a 1954 nickel in a coin store for $.25 and decided to buy it. Now, if you are going to come in and criticize what certain people are saying, you might not want to. And if you just can't help yourself, you might as well not say anything at all.

OP
OP
S

seabud

Dec 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does a 1954 nickel have to do with my question ?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was another post. The reason I asked about the grading company is because they're are some junk companies out there that will throw anything in a slab and grade it a 70. They will give themselves names when abbreviated appear similar to top grading companies to try to put something over on potential buyers. Simple enough? So for the poster that didn't like my question, now you know. I don't troll around trying to make people feel bad. I suggest you do the same. I guarantee I have more coin knowledge in my little finger than you have in your whole body. As for the 1954 nickel, I find it's also important to teach new collectors that not everything is collectable and some things just are common and won't increase in value.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I personally believe that is from a hit.

I agree and feel that the coin should be returned to the Seller for a full refund or sent to PCGS as the coin is definitely not an MS-70! I can't see how that the hit could be considered an Error when it appears to be a hit that occurred after the coin left the Mint and before it was slabbed.

Frank

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is graded PCSG MS70 . I emailed them and they said it is a Mint error and Grading the coin has nothing to do with the error .

apparently it is an Mint Error because they said So. & if you have a copy of the Email.
You have proof.

as to Value of that Error :dontknow:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree and feel that the coin should be returned to the Seller for a full refund or sent to PCGS as the coin is definitely not an MS-70! I can't see how that the hit could be considered an Error when it appears to be a hit that occurred after the coin left the Mint and before it was slabbed.

Frank
Hence, my tag line.........

Quique32

Greenie
Jun 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone can help me please? I have this bill I want to know anyone's opinion image.jpeg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread