1818 Coin Counting Machine Find

KennyFLA

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I work at a store that has a coin counting machine similar to coin star. I am lucky enough that I can open up the machine and look at the bag of halves and see if there is any silver and buy whatever coins are in the bag. I usually wait a few months before checking it because not many half dollars are deposited. The other day I checked and almost closed the machine when I didn't see silver but I noticed that one of the coins was really dark so I moved it around to where I could see it and it was an 1818 large cent!

I bought the bag which was about $8 ($7.50 in clad Kennedys) so I paid .50 for it. It has some damage but seems to be in pretty good condition for its age. I guess someone had it in an old jar full of coins and dumped it. I thought about buying the rest of the bags in the machine, but decided not to because it was almost $2000 total and the other bags are changed pretty frequently. Anyway, here are a couple of pictures. Any ideas on what it would grade?

1818 LC.jpg
1818 LC Rev.jpg

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not expert but I would guess it would grade good 4...or damaged with good details. Because of the scratches or gouges on the obverse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions