1788 Georgivs Vermont Copper?

SRA

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one collector's opinion on this coin that it may be fake, so I would like to get more thoughts. It appears to have a faint "G" on the front of the coin near the back of the bust's shoulder, as in Georgivs. There are similarities on the back (person in chair holding a long stick/spear). There is a faint "ET" above the plant the person is holding on the back. It weight 7 grams (0.24 oz). Thank you. IMG_5251.JPG IMG_5252.JPG

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it is a Vlack 13-88CT made at Machins Mills with a counterfeit English Halfpenny obverse and a Connecticut copper reverse. If I have time later I can look into it further if someone else doesn't chime in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SRA

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both! I have e-mailed Tony and will let you know what he says. L. Cutler, if that's the case, do you see any value in it? Thanks again.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely, the 13-88C is a rarity 5 coin which is 31 to 75 known and it is a "type" coin as well. Yours is low grade but still a desirable coin.

OP
OP
S

SRA

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great! What value would you place on it being low grade?
Absolutely, the 13-88C is a rarity 5 coin which is 31 to 75 known and it is a "type" coin as well. Yours is low grade but still a desirable coin.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tough to say, colonials just aren't like later US coins where X coin in X grade is worth $X. It all depends on who is looking for that variety at any given time and what they would pay.

OP
OP
S

SRA

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again. I looked at other auctions for it to get an idea.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin. Mules are always interesting, especially something like that.

OP
OP
S

SRA

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Tony: "You have a coin that is usually collected in the Machin's series and uses reverse D originally used on two common CT coppers, the M2-D and M16.1-D. It was later used once with a Machins Mills obverse 13 for yours known as a Vlack 13-88CT. Obverse 13 was also used with a semi rare V13.87B and the very rare 13-87CT. It is also collected in the CT series making it a little more sought after."

OP
OP
S

SRA

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions