Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys I dug a 1877 indian head penny today. I know its a key date. Is there any way to clean up some of the dirt on it without losing the value? Or am I better off to leave it alone? Thank you. indian.jpg

Last edited:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better safe then sorry. Maybe some warm water and a tooth pick to get some dirt clumps off. But I wouldn't scrub anything. You can do more harm cleaning it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're making a bad choice right off the start asking that question and not even showing a picture.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A toothpick and the dirt can still damage the coin. I was told to use a green rose thorn after soaking the IH in warm soapy water.. I have not done anything so far.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your sure it's an 1877! I wouldn't touch it! That is the holy grail of indian heads! Maybe even of all small cents! :laughing7:

Great find!!

I have an 1867 that my Great Grandfather left me, when I was a kid,I peeled out of it's holder, I thought I'd clean it with baking soda,scrubbed it down so it was all nice and shiny, glued it to paper for a school project, that I glued other coins to, too. It makes me sick to look at it to this day! 30 some years later!:BangHead::laughing7:

It's tempting to clean them.....I know! You'll be sorrrrrrryyyyyy!:laughing7:

Last edited:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me, I would sit it on a napkin and leave it be for a week--let it dry out and see what it looks like then----great find :icon_thumleft:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; We can not make an accurate assessment without a picture of both sides of the coin. That's like cutting a diamond without seeing the stone. Don't Clean it AT ALL. Post the pictures ok. PEACE:RONB

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea I know what I would do if it has a Crust on it.
I'd use the top edge of by thumb Nail to crack & Remove the Crust & hopefully
see the Shiny Green surface.
But since I don't know what yours looks like , or how far you want to go .
most I can suggest is rinse it under the faucet , and let dry.

OP
OP
mainer

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture added.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing your going to do is mess it up if you try and clean it

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still a tuff call at this point.
I see green along the Edge , but it looks like bad green.
not just toning. starting on the back,
I personally would still probably try chipping off he brown crust with the top edge of my thumb nail
but that's my personal preference to find green toning.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the picture it looks like pitting is the problem and there's nothing to clean... and if there's nothing to clean, taking metal off won't be pretty. There does appear to be a bit of dirt at the bottom, and washing that off to reveal the letters a little more is not a big deal. Not sure what a 77 goes for in AG condition, but probably better as a detecting trophy than bill money.

Dinkleman

Apr 12, 2016
Rochester ny
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, pro pointer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find. Speaking from experience after testing out a bunch of methods on a 1901 IH I found just about nothing will clean it without damage or some lose detail. A small amout of baking soda and water with some gental rubbing will help get a little more of the dirt off.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll go with the majority and say don't clean it. However, Congratz on digging an 1877 IHP!!! :hello2:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
great find. Speaking from experience after testing out a bunch of methods on a 1901 IH I found just about nothing will clean it without damage or some lose detail. A small amout of baking soda and water with some gental rubbing will help get a little more of the dirt off.

This causes extreme damage to the coin. The baking soda will grind off the top surface of the coin. If you do this, you will lose 50% of its value. Soak in warm, soapy water, then shake the coin under water. The loose stuff will come off and the rest of the stuff should stay. Put it on a clean cloth and pat is try. Leave it out to air dry further. I would give it a day or two to air dry then put it back int he case. You could contact EAC (Early American Copper Collectors) and get suggestions from them. They deal with this type of damage regularly. Please don't do anything that involves rubbing. Leave that to the experts.

Good luck.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I'd use the "Scourgify" cleaning spell. Hermione used it once to clean out Hedwig's cage. It works great! And you don't have to worry about using obsolete Muggle methods, which will surely damage the surface, leading to net or details grade when you send it to the grading service. If you combine this with the "Reparo" spell, it may return it to its original mint state condition, possibly getting you an ms65rd grade from PCGS. Or, it might just turn it into a real Indian, in which case, I would be ready to cast an "Avada Kedavra" spell just in case!

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I'd use the "Scourgify" cleaning spell. Hermione used it once to clean out Hedwig's cage. It works great! And you don't have to worry about using obsolete Muggle methods, which will surely damage the surface, leading to net or details grade when you send it to the grading service. If you combine this with the "Reparo" spell, it may return it to its original mint state condition, possibly getting you an ms65rd grade from PCGS. Or, it might just turn it into a real Indian, in which case, I would be ready to cast an "Avada Kedavra" spell just in case!

WTF?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread